Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how do i know if my pci ssd is going

How do i know if my pci ssd is going bad and is there a check i can do?

MacBook, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on Feb 6, 2016 8:59 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 7, 2016 9:59 AM

There is no predictive value.

There are however apps that try to predict, by using a lot of value with predictive formulas.

These formulas are (and should be) different for different disks models. Thus a good app should have a large database of disks and of tested formulas for them.

A few years back I did a reasonably thorough testing of such apps and lost three disks in the process.

The one I use now is DriveDx from binaryfruit.com

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 7, 2016 9:59 AM in response to woodrowfromsan tan valley

There is no predictive value.

There are however apps that try to predict, by using a lot of value with predictive formulas.

These formulas are (and should be) different for different disks models. Thus a good app should have a large database of disks and of tested formulas for them.

A few years back I did a reasonably thorough testing of such apps and lost three disks in the process.

The one I use now is DriveDx from binaryfruit.com

Feb 6, 2016 12:41 PM in response to KimUserName

You can not give yourself points, although it works to create less attention from helpers 😁

Answer: No it was not because of the testing: these apps don't do tests, they read the S.M.A.R.T status and several other data from the disk. Then work their formulas.

I had two relatively new LaCie disks, and one a bit older Seagate: because of the prognosis I took 2 out for a while and let one LaCie in: it died two weeks later. Then the Seagate (external dies a month later, the second (external) Lacie died a day after that. I brought all back to the shop and got three new disks, no questions asked.

Lex

how do i know if my pci ssd is going

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.