Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Pro won't complete boot in ANY MODE

Hi All

I'm having an abhorrent time with my macbook pro.

Model Specs -

Late 2011 15" Macbook running El Capitan (latest updates)

Upgraded RAM to 16gb, and HDD to a Crucial 500GB SSD

All running fine for nearly a year after updates until this morning

Problem

Booted up A O K, logged in A O K then all of a sudden, screen goes crazy - Jumping to 25% left and right with weird overhang and everything. So.. I reboot and get the same effect four or five times before it stops logging me in completely. Now it boots to about 50% grey bar before the screen goes black and then to pale blue whilst the fans go mental.

This happens on my account, the guest account - so I start to freak out - I went through every single trouble shoot offered online (that I could find on my tiny phone screen) and even rang apple tech support - No dice - she told me that I've done everything she could suggest and tells me to book a genius apt.

I have tried booting up and resetting PRAM, SCM. Booting in safe mode, disk mode, even via a USB to reinstall the OS. Nothing works - the progress bar hits about 50% and the screen goes black, then to blue, then the fans kick in then it turns itself off (sometimes)

Can anyone help? Any idea of anything? I just need an answer to I can move forward and fix the issue

Thanks so much to ANYONE in advance - Hopefully all I've said makes some sort of sense

Best

Tim

MacBook Pro, OS X El Capitan (10.11.3)

Posted on Feb 6, 2016 9:21 AM

4 replies

Feb 6, 2016 9:48 AM in response to talker

I am guessing here. But you most likely where told to do a SMC reset,pram reset,safe boot,single user and boot to recovery. You may have been told that while in recovery to ether reinstall the operating system or use disk utilities to erase the indented volume and then reinstall. If you have already tried all of this then the only thing left is a trip to the apple genius bar. https://www.apple.com/support/macbookpro-videoissues/

Feb 6, 2016 9:51 AM in response to my ginger

I'd done all of that before calling up and then yep, you're correct - I was told to do all of them, and have tried repeatedly

Guess I'll see if I can boot in target mode to secure all my files and take a trip to the genius bar

Any idea of the possible issue? I can't find anyone with similar issues to me anywhere online 😟

Feb 6, 2016 10:09 AM in response to talker

I take it you do not have a backup drive or use time machine. Because in doing a fresh install you would erase all data on the drive and start with just the operating system. Which eliminates any third party software you may have installed. If when this is done,you still have the same problem. It points to hardware. You could try removing the memory, clean it with a pencil eraser, wipe with soft cloth and reset it. The only other test you might do requires an external drive inclosure. That is to remove the drive and put it into the inclosure and then boot to it. You hold down the option key and pick the drive. if you have the original install disks that came with your MBP you could run the hardware test from it. You insert the disk and hold down the d key while booting.

Macbook Pro won't complete boot in ANY MODE

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.