Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Dual users presenting problem

My husband and I share an iMac, OS X El Capitan 10.11.3, and when he browses in Safari, the websites show up on my side and my websites show up on his side. The worst of it, his browsing sites also appear on my iPad. I'm not certain, however, I believe this started when I installed El Capitan.

How do i remedy this?

Thank you, Terri

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Feb 6, 2016 9:06 AM

16 replies

Feb 6, 2016 3:22 PM in response to terri291

terri291 wrote:

No, actually, I'm the only one that appears on the iCloud account on both sides.

That is your problem. iCloud accounts are not meant to be shared. It's designed to synchronize things to all of the devices used by the account holder. If your iCloud account is set up under both your user account and his, then as far as iCloud is concerned, you are the only user and it's trying to do what it was designed to do... it's synchronizing everything so it's available to you wherever you are.

You each need your own iCloud account. Stop sharing one.

Feb 7, 2016 12:31 PM in response to terri291

terri291 wrote:

I have Chrome and Safari on my side and use both also, however, the websites don't cross over either. I can't understand why it is doing it with 2 different users, however, KiltedTim might have the answer. I'm trying to set up a separate iCloud account for him and it won't let me.

Not exactly what you said previously

I thought about that - I unchecked Safari, and I will let you know. However, I use Chrome (not my husband) - he uses Safari. I will keep you informed.

What I was saying is, where you surf in Google Chrome, shouldn't show up in Safari and as far as I know can't. And where either of you surf with Safari shouldn't and as far as I know, can't show up in Chrome.

As far as setting up an iCloud account for your husband, you would have to be signed out of yours. But making him a Family member should work.

Feb 7, 2016 4:45 PM in response to terri291

terri291 wrote:

KiltedTim, We are seniors and this "cloud" thing doesn't compute. As you suggested, I tried to set up a separate iCloud account for him, and it wouldn't let me. It refused his email address and said another user had that email address. Should I add him on my side as a family member?

I should have mentioned, if your husband already has an Apple ID that would be why you couldn't set up a new iCloud account. His Apple ID would be his iCloud account.

Just to clarify, you said you unchecked Safari from iCloud but you didn't say whether it worked or not. You haven't marked anything as solved so I assume not.

Dual users presenting problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.