Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Doesn't add up.

I have seen discussions about SUM problems here. Do not understand much, advices about footer rows just confuse me.

I have 268334,23 in C3 and want to subtract G2 which contains 265000. Should be fairly straightforward. The result according to numbers is 333423,00. If I enter manually C3-265000, I get the same result.

Excel calculates without a problem.

Posted on Feb 6, 2016 9:30 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 6, 2016 10:21 AM

HI Frans,

It appears that Numbers is not recognizing the comma ( , ) as a decimal separator.

Using a period as the decimal separator, and =C3-G2 as the formula doing the subtraction, I get 3334.23 as the result.

Replacing the period with a comma, the contents of C3 immediately move to the left of the cell (indicating Numbers now thinks the contents are text, not a number), and the formula above throws an error message: The operator "-" expects a number, date or duration, but cell C3 contains a string.

The decimal separator is a System Preferences setting in the Language and Text > Regions preference s pane. The problem may be there.

Regards,

Barry

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 6, 2016 10:21 AM in response to Frans Zantvoort

HI Frans,

It appears that Numbers is not recognizing the comma ( , ) as a decimal separator.

Using a period as the decimal separator, and =C3-G2 as the formula doing the subtraction, I get 3334.23 as the result.

Replacing the period with a comma, the contents of C3 immediately move to the left of the cell (indicating Numbers now thinks the contents are text, not a number), and the formula above throws an error message: The operator "-" expects a number, date or duration, but cell C3 contains a string.

The decimal separator is a System Preferences setting in the Language and Text > Regions preference s pane. The problem may be there.

Regards,

Barry

Doesn't add up.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.