Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to deactivate airdrop notification banners and sounds

I have been trying to find a way to stop notification banner popouts and 'bbing' sounds from distrubing my movie and sound recording and editing work on my Mac, when i airdrop files from my iPad to Mac Mini (or any other mac for that matter), but cannot.

It seems that notifications in the system preferences does not allow or include airdrop to be managed or deactivate sounds and banners.

Considering i need utter silence, and the fact that a lot of my work involves screen recording, but that i also airdrop to my mac whilst working, this is a totally insane function of El Capitan

It seems these days a mac is not for making video or music with (i sue logic x and garage band too, and in a live voice recording which was going very well just now five and a half minutes into the recording.. got ruined as airdrop went 'Bing' and the banner blocks my mouse action too (see screenshot of popup)

User uploaded file

leave me alone with your notifications please Apple i wold be very grateful. I feel Apple is overlooking many issues in the moment.

I dont accept notifications from anything ever. I am a content creator, and dont need to use the mac as a file-o-fax to manage appointments and social contacts.. i don't have any, i just work in silence and create content.

I wont be shopping, i wont be making selfies, nor will i wish to be hearing that fred and frieda just mentioned me on facebook.. i dont follow that stuff, and i find it a total pain and a scourge of the modern internet.

I also dont update ios or apps anymore on my iphone and ipad air, because it always resets notifications to default them all to bash my eyes and ears.. and i have hundreds of apps on my device, which means manually chganging them all back again

No matter how much Apple may wish to turn me into consumer joe, it isnt going to happen, and so, if anyone here knows how to get rid of this horrible airdrop beeping and banner, please let me know i will be extremely grateful

i must apologise for discussing multiple topics in one post on the mac mini section, but i dont have time to post three different posts

while im at it i would also like to know how to stop the following;

the update ios popup on ipad and iphone which keeps asking me to update or remind later

i dont intend to update

so does this mean i will have to have my current work or edit be interrupted when i switch apps with the obstruction of a 'ios9.2 is now available for update' forever?..

forever and ever?

i dont want to update, and i wont

so i have to have an eternal popup saying 'update or be hassled forever'

nahh no way

cant make me

ill live with it, but i hope there is a way to get rid of it, because it is my device, and i do what i want with it. I wil not be forced into updating.

Other issues;

autopeek sidebar in left side of Safari - i use multiple screens, and when i mouse to left of screen to change displays, i cant, because safari pops out the sidebar/reading list (which i never use anyway think its the next most stupid and irrelevant thing since the dashboard on a mac, which has only just disappeared with el capitan)

ios appswitcher sidebar opens apps as you scroll thorugh them in split screen for ipad pro or ipad air.. but when you close split screen again, the app does not close

for the first time since ios7, i find my ipad with 100 apps open. Whereas before this came along, i only ever had one app or 2 open.

app clsiing with the new 'wrong direction' appswitcher 'cards' is also horrible. Especially considering the homescreen (i call it the desktop) which should ve the layer that is the furthest in background, has now become the front card obstructing closure of apps that are layered behind it.. why on earth put the background in front of the foreground?i get to homescreen pushing the home button once

see below image - what kind of logic is this to close apps with???

User uploaded file

so why on earth should i click twice to get to it? i click twice to get to app switcher.. but homescreen is floating in front of it

try to slide apps up to close them is more like tennis or ping pong they just flicjk sideways until you get angry and start frantically and agressively swiping like a madman with three fingers until they all are gone.. and hope you havent lost all your hair in the process with the stress

i want iOS8 back haha iOS 9 is a total mess

Mac mini, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5), 24 GB Ram 1 TB Fusion drive 2013

Posted on Feb 6, 2016 9:36 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 5, 2017 9:45 AM

I dont want to turn off airdrop, i want to use it, but stop the beeping sound and the banner

In Notifications, there is not option to remove airdrop sounds and banners. Pretty Dumb of Apple. I mean, the notifications and sounds settings are set to no sounds and no banners. But airdrop doesnt care that i have set sound effects to Zero Volume and set to make no sounds.

Whats the point in offering notification settings, and not including all the apps which serve notifications?

might as well say 'you cant deactivate notifications for some things'

But that isnt what i want. I want silence, do not be disturbed

To be honest, i dont know why apple makes us do 12:00 to 11:59 do not disturb clock as the only way to stop the disturbance (they all come at once at midnight, so they are not stopped, rather, only delayed)

Apple should also have a simple on-off switch to completely disable them all, which is something most people do if they can.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 5, 2017 9:45 AM in response to lllaass

I dont want to turn off airdrop, i want to use it, but stop the beeping sound and the banner

In Notifications, there is not option to remove airdrop sounds and banners. Pretty Dumb of Apple. I mean, the notifications and sounds settings are set to no sounds and no banners. But airdrop doesnt care that i have set sound effects to Zero Volume and set to make no sounds.

Whats the point in offering notification settings, and not including all the apps which serve notifications?

might as well say 'you cant deactivate notifications for some things'

But that isnt what i want. I want silence, do not be disturbed

To be honest, i dont know why apple makes us do 12:00 to 11:59 do not disturb clock as the only way to stop the disturbance (they all come at once at midnight, so they are not stopped, rather, only delayed)

Apple should also have a simple on-off switch to completely disable them all, which is something most people do if they can.

how to deactivate airdrop notification banners and sounds

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.