Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why are hidden photos still showing when plugging in phone?

I used the 'hidden' feature for private pics, but each time I plug my phone into computer at work, ALL MY HIDDEN PHOTOS COMES UP ON SCREEN!! I tried deleting from Camera Roll, but then it deletes it everywhere, including hidden folder. Whats the point of having hidden pics, if they are not hidden when plugging in phone? This new 'photos' is really quite a disaster compared to the simplicity of iPhotos.

Posted on Feb 6, 2016 9:47 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 6, 2016 10:17 AM

If they show up everywhere else then why are the called hidden? How can I have my private pics not show up automatically on home screen when plugging my phone into my desktop computer?

3 replies

Feb 6, 2016 1:45 PM in response to gettingphatter

You would have to move your private photos to a different Photos Library so they will not accidentally appear. Hiding photos is meant to make the moments easier to manage, but not to keep photos hidden from preying eyes.

See the Help page:

Show or hide photos

You can hide selected photos and show them only when you want to see them. Hiding a photo can be useful if you don’t want to use it, but you’re not sure you want to delete it.

• Hide photos: Select the photo or photos, choose Image > Hide [number] Photos, then click Hide Photos.The selected photos disappear from your moments, but are not deleted.
  • Show hidden photos: Click Albums in the toolbar, then choose View > Show Hidden Photo Album.The Hidden Photos album appears among your other albums. To unhide photos in it, select them, then choose Image > Show Photo.

Moments are created automatically, and we have no way to remove a photo from a moment, other than deleting it. Hiding will remove photos temporarily, so we can weed out the moments without deleting the photos.

But the hidden photos will show in any album. You could use smart albums with the rule "Photo is not hidden instead of standard albums.

Why are hidden photos still showing when plugging in phone?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.