Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to recover deleted POP emails

I have a Time Machine backup of the emails from a POP account I just carelessly deleted while changing to an IMAP account. I've seen answers in this forum to variations on this issue, but not my specific one. I'm running OS X 10.9.5 on a MacBook Air. I've figured out where the files are on the external hard drive backup (using the trick to see the hidden Library). Do I need to temporarily create a dummy POP account? Can I recreate the old account and somehow import the emails back in?

Can someone help me?

Thanks.

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.5.8), iPad

Posted on Feb 6, 2016 10:29 AM

14 replies

Feb 6, 2016 10:48 AM in response to samiam1955

Have you tried using Mail's Import option? You would select the first alternative for an Apple Mail account, then locate the folder containing your old POP mail data, look for and select the Mailboxes folder that contains what you need to restore and click on the Open/Select button. Data are restored into an Import folder in the Mail folder listing in its sidebar.

Feb 6, 2016 11:50 AM in response to samiam1955

Exposing the /Home/Library/ Folder

Pick one of the following methods:

A. This method will make the folder visible permanently. Open the Terminal application in your Utilities folder and paste the following at the command prompt:

chflags nohidden ~/Library

Press RETURN.

B. Click on the Desktop, press the OPTION (⌥) button, select Library from the Finder's Go menu.

C. Select Go To Folder from the Finder's Go menu. Paste the following in the path field:

~/Library

Press the Go button.

Feb 6, 2016 1:31 PM in response to Kappy

Partial success. I copied the entire folder called POP-USERNAME@mail.comcast.net from within the hidden Library on the backup drive over to a non-hidden location on my computer's hard drive. Then, without creating a new account, I tried to import the Inbox from that folder. It went through the motions of doing the import, but said some messages could not be imported, and didn't import any of them. It only created a subfolder called text_1.txt within the import mailbox.

To create a new account, I still have the same problem mentioned above: When I try to create a new account within Mail, it seems I need to use an existing email address, but of course it's already used in my IMAP account. Do I just need to bite the bullet and temporarily change the IMAP back to a POP account?

How to recover deleted POP emails

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.