Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad 3rd gen - do other covers fit?

HI All,

Apologies if I make any mistakes but this is my first post here!

i have a 3rd generation iPad and am looking for a reasonably priced new cover for it - last time I found thousands available on Amazon but I seem to be struggling now, obviously it's an older model and most of the cases available now are for the newer model. I'm also struggling to find anywhere online to compare actual dimensions of the different models.

SO, my question is - do I have to buy a 3rd gen specific case, or would one for another (newer) model fit too?

Thanks in advance 🙂

iPad (3rd gen) Wi-Fi + Cellular, iOS 9.2.1

Posted on Feb 6, 2016 10:25 AM

2 replies

Feb 6, 2016 11:32 AM in response to Caroline1609

The third gen specs

• Height: 9.50 inches (241.2 mm)
  • Width: 7.31 inches (185.7 mm)
  • Depth: 0.37 inch (9.4 mm)
  • Weight: 1.44 pounds (652 g)

Wi-Fi + Cellular

• Height: 9.50 inches (241.2 mm)
  • Width: 7.31 inches (185.7 mm)
  • Depth: 0.37 inch (9.4 mm)
  • Weight: 1.46 pounds (662 g)

iT has the same specs as the 4th and 2nd gen iPad Burt not ther Air or Air 2

http://www.apple.com/ipad/compare/

So unless the case specifically says its for the air or first gen (and really those would be really hard to find) the 2nd, 3rd and 4th gen iPads all were the same. I think the biggest difference with the 2nd and 3rd fen is that the 3rd gen has lightning while the 2nd gen had a 30 pin port.

Feb 6, 2016 12:35 PM in response to Skydiver119

Both iPad 2 and 3 models have the 30 pin dock connector.

I have both of these models.

The early iPad 4 models had the 30 pin dock connector, too. Then about a month or so after release, Apple started shipping iPad 4s with the new Lightning connector.

One of my friends has an iPad 4 that still used the 30 pin dock connector.

He bought his iPad 4 on pre-order from Apple online store right when the iPad 4 was first released.

So, cases for the iPad 4 may have a smaller connector opening that accomodates the newer iPad 4’s Lightning connector instead of the earlier 30 pin dock connector model of the iPad 4.

iPad 3rd gen - do other covers fit?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.