Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

keyboard and mouse go dead

Occasionally when I'm using my mid-2010 Mac Pro (El Capitan 10.11.3) the keyboard and wired mouse go dead, and I have to restart using the power button. Since the mouse attaches via the keyboard I'm assuming the problem could be the usb port or cable. Any clues what it could be and how I can diagnose/prevent recurrences? Thanks.

Mac Pro, OS X El Capitan (10.11.3)

Posted on Feb 6, 2016 11:32 AM

3 replies

Feb 6, 2016 11:37 AM in response to MarthaT

Try the other port on the keyboard. Connect them directly to separate USB ports on the computer to see if that solves the problem. Did this occur prior to upgrading to 10.11.3? If not, then try this:

Try this:

Boot the computer into Safe Mode, then restart normally. This will be slower than a normal startup.

Intel-based Macs: Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC)

Resetting your Mac's PRAM and NVRAM

Repair the Hard Drive and Permissions - El Capitan

Boot to the Recovery HD:

Restart the computer and after the chime press and hold down the COMMAND and R keys until the menu screen appears.

Repair

When the recovery menu appears select Disk Utility and press the Continue button. After Disk Utility loads select the indented Macintosh HD entry from the the left side list. Click on the First Aid tab in the toolbar.. If Disk Utility reports any errors that have been fixed, then re-run First Aid until no errors are reported. Wait until the operation completes, then quit Disk Utility and return to the main menu. Select Restart from the Apple menu.

Now, Download and Reinstall OS X El Capitan 10.11.3 Combo Update.

Feb 6, 2016 12:06 PM in response to Kappy

Thanks for fast reply.

I restarted in safe mode as you suggested, then restarted normally.

Then I ran Apple Hardware Test and disk utility-repair.

None of these steps reported any problems.

I will try the Recovery HD step next, after I do a backup, then reinstall El Capitan.

Here's another clue: This happened right after I plugged in my iphone Don't know if there is any connection.

Will report results shortly.

keyboard and mouse go dead

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.