Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

sim locked phone however bought from apple without plan

I bought a iphone 5s two years and a half ago directly from appl.fr, I payed for the full product without any plans.

I use the phone during more than 2 years directly with FREE (a french carrier). Today I moved to chile and I bought a new chip from Virgin. When I put it in my iphone it says that : "the SIM card that you currently have installed in this iphone is from a carrier that is not supported under the ativation policy that is currently assigned by the activation server. .... "

got a guy from apple he told me the lock cames from the carrier when I connected it for the first time. I have called my carrier (FREE) they say there is no way it comes from them since they do not simlock phone (they do not have plan with phone).

I have tried to backup and restore the phone (from itune) -> put the virgin SIM back -> same lock 😟

Know I have a piece of gear I bought 900 euros and I cannot use it as I want. Any clues there ?

iPhone 5s, iOS 9.2.1

Posted on Feb 6, 2016 11:44 AM

2 replies

Feb 8, 2016 8:56 AM in response to imobl

Hi imobl,

When I have the "Free" chip inside it says "Free 23.0"

when I use the Virgin Chilean chip inside I cannot do anything with the phone, so no way to check.

I have a few other test :

- Tried with an other French chip Carrier -> works

- Tried the Chilean Virgin chip on the iphone 4s of my girl friend -> works

Is that possible there is an international lock ?

Last test to do is to find somebody with a Chilean chip that is not from virgin on my cell.

sim locked phone however bought from apple without plan

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.