Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

need to update email address but MacBook Pro..

I need help please. I recently created a new email address and password. I wanted to update my apple ID and iCloud but my Mac Pro is not accepting and new info and keeps locking me out or choosing to show my old email address and not accepting anything new. It keeps telling me to create a new password in order to sign out of iCloud.

MacBook Pro, iOS 9.2.1, null

Posted on Feb 6, 2016 12:22 PM

4 replies

Feb 7, 2016 5:09 AM in response to vanessafromchula vista

If you mean that you are being asked for a password to a different Apple ID to your current Apple ID and that ID is a previous version of your current ID, not an entirely different one.

This feature has been introduced to make stolen phones useless to those that have stolen them.

However it can also arise when the user has changed their Apple ID details with Apple and not made the same changes to their iCloud account/Find My Phone on their device before upgrading to iOS 7, or if you restore from a previous back up made before you changed your details and some other circumstances.

The only solution is to change your Apple ID back to its previous state with Apple at My Apple ID using your current password, you don’t need access to this address if it’s previously been used with your Apple ID, nor do you need to verify it, once you have saved these details enter the password as requested on your device and then turn off "find my phone" and delete the account from your device. It may take a short while to remove the account.

You should then change your Apple ID back to its current state, save it once again and then log back in using your current Apple ID. Finally, turn "find my phone" back on once again.

This article provides more information about Activation Lock.

Feb 8, 2016 2:36 AM in response to ZRE123

ZRE123 wrote:

Hi, I'm having the same issue as the poster and have followed your instructions however, when I try to change my email address back to the previous one, a message pops up saying 'An email with a verification code has been sent to *email*'. I cannot verify this as I no longer have access to my old email address. Do you have any suggestions?

If you are unable to remember your password, security questions, don’t have access to your rescue address or are unable to reset your password for whatever reason, your only option is to contact Apple ID Support, upon speaking to an operator you should explain that your problem is related to your Apple ID, this way you will not be charged for assistance, even if you don’t have an AppleCare plan.

You will need to show patience with the procedure and be prepared to demonstrate without question that the account belongs to you. Don’t expect access to be restored immediately and if you aren’t the owner of the Apple ID registered to the device the account won’t be reset.

need to update email address but MacBook Pro..

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.