Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

photos app on apple tv

photos app displays each photo event rather than just organized albums....Is there a way to get a format of my choosing when viewing thr photos app.....Thought spple tv version 4 might fix this issue

iMac (21.5-inch, Late 2012), Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Feb 6, 2016 2:55 PM

15 replies

Feb 6, 2016 3:25 PM in response to Winston Churchill

thank you for following me on this....i have had this trouble with apple tv for years...now have the latest and it continues...I understand exactly what you are saying....I just checked and the file the computer is to share is the photos file....The photos app on apple tv has never picked my full file of photos either iphoto or photos...Now the photos app on apple tv is blank and the file i get from going thru"computers" does work but it shows all the events...thousands...I cant get why the photos app doesnt just use my icloud drive saved photos...should be easy...but..

Feb 6, 2016 3:39 PM in response to Winston Churchill

i use the photos app...Former iphoto file is still in picture folder but not the app i use any longer...

I want to be able to use the photo app on apple tv to didplsy photo albums...I am signed in to icloud and iTunes appropriately....One issue may be i have a different apple id for itunes and icloud...A long time issue....Home sharing signs in with itunes i believe....Is tha why i get no files from from icloud based photos file...

Feb 6, 2016 4:20 PM in response to mahoganyfil

I'm struggling to visualise the issue a little here. I'm not sure where these events come in, there are no longer any events in Photos, there are only albums (this is why I thought you might still be using iPhoto).

Could these events actually be albums that Photos has created from your iPhoto library events when it migrated all your photos over.

Feb 6, 2016 4:26 PM in response to Winston Churchill

exactly they are albums that started in iphotos years ago....

AS i mentioned my iphotos file is still in my imac users>pictures file...I havent deleted it cause my reseach told me that photos uses both photos and iphotos to create what i see in photos...I just got a new imac and hoped that the pre installed sftware would just make iphotos go away but it didnt...The app wont disappear from my ipad or iphone either....

Feb 6, 2016 4:46 PM in response to mahoganyfil

mahoganyfil wrote:

I havent deleted it cause my reseach told me that photos uses both photos and iphotos to create what i see in photos...

Not quite. It uses one set of originals to create the databases for both iPhoto and Photos. Databases are small, so deleting your iPhoto library would save you very little space and you'd lose a valuable back up should you need it. I'd keep it around for a while yet.

OK I think I'm with you now. I believe there are 2 things you could look at doing.

If you just don't wish to see those events on your TV, change the settings at iTunes > File > home sharing > Choose... to selected albums and then just choose the albums you wish to see on TV.

or

If you still want the events on the TV but want them after more important photos, go back to your photos app and re-arrange the order of the albums in the side bar.

User uploaded file

After doing this allow a little time for the order to change in the home share settings and then click on Apply.

Of course you can do be selective and manipulate the order for best results.

photos app on apple tv

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.