Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ways to charge the Apple Pencil?

Apple's support article, "Use Apple Pencil with iPad Pro" mentions, "You can also plug into a USB port with the Apple Pencil Charging Adapter and a Lightning to USB cable."

Can you also plug your pencil directly into your iPad Pro's charging cable (connected to it's AC Adapter)?

Apple Pencil, iOS 9.2.1

Posted on Feb 6, 2016 12:28 PM

18 replies

Feb 9, 2017 1:21 PM in response to Gina baby

Gina baby wrote:

oK i have Apple Pencil i like to know where can you buy a charger for your Apple Pencil if you loose it you do not want to use your ipad pro please help i wish they send you one when you purchase Apple Pencil for $100 they should give you an extra charger

As you can't use the Pencil without an iPad Pro, there's really not a great need for a separate charger. However, Apple does include the adapter so that you can charge it with any standard Apple Lightning cable. If you've lost the adapter, contact Apple for a replacement.

Jun 26, 2016 10:28 AM in response to SReinton

There should have been a small white adapter in the Pencil's package/box that allows you to use any lightening cable connected to any USB port on your computer, iPhone or iPad power brick (see "what's in the box" http://www.apple.com/shop/product/MK0C2/apple-pencil-for-ipad-pro?fnode=37 ).

If you enable the battery widget, you can check the battery status in the widget pane of the pull down notificatons/today screen. That widget will work to show the battery status of any BT device that supports the battery reporting feature.

Jun 26, 2016 1:45 PM in response to SReinton

SReinton wrote:

Thank you. Found it.

Perhaps those instructions should be included with the pencil?

Yes, probably should be, and you can suggest it to Apple at http://www.apple.com/feedback/

I think widgets in general are one of the less known or understood features of the current iOS for a lot of people. The battery widget is not pencil specific either - works also with my motorola S11-flex BT headphones, keyboards and many other BT devices that support the protocol.

Dec 3, 2016 2:49 PM in response to MacHappiest

It is great that there is an alternate way to charge your Apple Pencil besides plugging it into the bottom of your iPad. However, if you do not have the little white charging adapter that your Apple Pencil was packaged with that allows for you to charge through your USB adapter, how do you go about acquiring a new one? I could not locate this accessory anywhere on the website. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Dec 3, 2016 2:55 PM in response to SReinton

The way you can determine the charging state of your Apple Pencil is through your iPad Pro, itself. All you have to do is swipe down from the center of your screen and scroll left to the widgets screen. If you do not see the "batteries" charging widget, go to the bottom of the page and tap "edit widgets" and add the batteries widget so it appears. This widget should show you how charged your Pencil is as well as your iPad. It even shows when you have it currently connected, denoted by a tiny lightning bolt indicating it is charging when you have it plugged in. There is no indicator on the Apple Pencil itself, however.

ps- if you find a way to get a hold of that charging adapter, I, too, am interested in acquiring one as it is difficult always charging it through the bottom of my ipad.

Ways to charge the Apple Pencil?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.