Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how does iCloud work

if i put all of my photos from my phone onto iCloud and then delete them all from my phones photo library, would i still be able to view all of the photos on my phone through iCloud even if my storage is full

iPhone 6, iOS 9.2.1

Posted on Feb 6, 2016 12:51 PM

3 replies

Feb 6, 2016 12:56 PM in response to quin2403

Welcome to the Apple Community.

With iCloud Photo Library enabled, you cannot delete a photo on one device (or at iCloud.com) without deleting it from every device that uses iCloud photo library (and iCloud.com). In order to save space on your mobile devices (and indeed your Mac if you wish to do so) turn on optimisation for photos on these devices (settings > photos & camera > optimise storage on your mobile device and Photo preferences > optimise storage on your Mac)

Optimisation is dynamic, it reduces the resolution of your photos as and when needed, so you may not notice it occurring at first. However when it is needed, it is very effective and users have reported libraries being optimised to much less than 10% of their original size in some cases. My own library is about 9% of its original size on my phone.

how does iCloud work

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.