Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Media browser does not show most photos under iCloud Photo Library

I use iCloud Photo Library. I've got 50GB of iCloud space, and I'm using only 17. My device has 2.2GB of local space free. And yet, when I save photos, their local copies are deleted almost immediately. This means that the media browser (UIImagePickerController) does not show these photos. On my iPad, the only photos shown are two screenshots I took on my phone last August.

Also, on my iPad, Photos shows as taking up 1.0 GB, while the same library takes up 7.0GB on my phone. Both devices are 32GB devices with 2+ GB of free space, but this issue is only present on my iPad.

iPad mini 2 Wi-Fi, iOS 8.3

Posted on Feb 6, 2016 1:35 PM

8 replies

Feb 7, 2016 5:27 PM in response to LACAllen

I need to have "optimize storage" enabled. I don't have enough free space for my entire library. The issue is that "optimize storage" uploads and deletes photos immediately, instead of keeping the local copies of at least my most recent photos, as it should. "Optimize storage" is not designed to delete local copies of all my photos, it's designed to delete local copies of older photos, and still let me access the more recent ones. It's really a bug that it doesn't, I was wondering if anyone had a solution. I've already reported the bug to apple.

The reason I need to use media browser is for literally almost every situation in which someone might need to use a photo. iMessage is the main stock app affected, but countless third-party apps are also affected.

I do, in fact, have "optimize storage" enabled on both devices, but I'm not concerned about the size difference, that's merely a matter of available device space.

Feb 7, 2016 6:19 PM in response to Webmaster4o

Ok... you are certainly allowed to have optimize on.

When the local copies are resized, they should still be accessible for you on your device. You only have to "go to the cloud" if you need the original file.

Are you saying photos are not available in moments, or in albums? That is not expected.

I would suggest updating to the latest iOS version as a start. There are many iCloud improvements in iOS 9 and greater. Also a reset all settings may resolve this as well.

Media browser does not show most photos under iCloud Photo Library

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.