Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Installed is El Capitan can not shut down computer

hi I installed OS X El Capitan on my MacBook Pro mid 2012 and then I could not shut down my computer. So I have just tried an install again and it says computer is restarting but nothing is happening. It has been about 5 minutes already.

I'M in a reall mess.

Before when I had installed El Capitan when I went to about safari it said safari 9.0.3

I Don't know how to get out of this

regards

pab

MacBook Pro, OS X El Capitan (10.11.3), OS X 8.5

Posted on Feb 6, 2016 1:50 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 6, 2016 2:19 PM

Press and hold down the Power button until the computer shuts down. Wait about one minute. Then do the following;

Try these in order testing your system after each to see if it's back to normal:

1. a. Resetting your Mac's PRAM and NVRAM

b. Intel-based Macs: Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC)

2. Restart the computer in Safe Mode, then restart again, normally. If this doesn't help, then:

Boot to the Recovery HD: Restart the computer and after the chime press and hold down the

COMMAND and R keys until the Utilities menu screen appears. This will be slower than a normal

startup.

3. Repair the Hard Drive and Permissions: Upon startup select Disk Utility from the Utilities menu. Repair the Hard Drive and Permissions as follows.

When the recovery menu appears select Disk Utility and press the Continue button. After Disk Utility loads select the

indented Macintosh HDentry from the the left side list. Click on the First Aid button in the toolbar. Wait until the operation

completes, then quit Disk Utility and returnto the main menu.

4. Reinstall OS X: Reboot from the Recovery HD. Select Reinstall OS X from the Utilities menu, and click on the Continue button.

Note: You will need an active Internet connection. I suggest using Ethernet if possible because it is three times faster than wireless.

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 6, 2016 2:19 PM in response to Jakespinny

Press and hold down the Power button until the computer shuts down. Wait about one minute. Then do the following;

Try these in order testing your system after each to see if it's back to normal:

1. a. Resetting your Mac's PRAM and NVRAM

b. Intel-based Macs: Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC)

2. Restart the computer in Safe Mode, then restart again, normally. If this doesn't help, then:

Boot to the Recovery HD: Restart the computer and after the chime press and hold down the

COMMAND and R keys until the Utilities menu screen appears. This will be slower than a normal

startup.

3. Repair the Hard Drive and Permissions: Upon startup select Disk Utility from the Utilities menu. Repair the Hard Drive and Permissions as follows.

When the recovery menu appears select Disk Utility and press the Continue button. After Disk Utility loads select the

indented Macintosh HDentry from the the left side list. Click on the First Aid button in the toolbar. Wait until the operation

completes, then quit Disk Utility and returnto the main menu.

4. Reinstall OS X: Reboot from the Recovery HD. Select Reinstall OS X from the Utilities menu, and click on the Continue button.

Note: You will need an active Internet connection. I suggest using Ethernet if possible because it is three times faster than wireless.

Feb 10, 2016 5:50 AM in response to Kappy

Hi Kappy,

Just wanted to thank you for your help. Unfortunately, I thought it had solved my problem because when I would startup and then immediately shutdown without going into any application it worked just fine. If I go into an application and of course then quit the application then I can not shut down.

I know you can not help me or you would have but I wanted to express to you my appreciation of your expert help.

Is there a way now to delete my posts from this forum?

best regards

and thank you

pab

Feb 13, 2016 6:01 AM in response to Jakespinny

The Console application in your Utilities folder may provide some information about what happened when you opened the application, then tried to shutdown. Note the time at which you made this experiment, then look at the console messages a little before and after. See if there may be a clue as to what is happening. Also, does this happen with any application or just one particular one? Also, see App Compatibility Table - RoaringApps. Be sure your applications are up to date.

If nothing is fixing the problem then consider erasing the drive and re-installing OS X and your applications from scratch. See Basic Steps for Upgrading OS X.

Install or Reinstall OS X from Scratch

Be sure you have backed up your files because the following procedure will remove everything from the hard drive.

Boot to the Recovery HD:

Restart the computer and after the chime press and hold down the COMMAND and R keys until the menu screen appears.

Erase the hard drive:

1. Select Disk Utility from the main menu and click on the Continue button.

2. After DU loads select your startup volume (usually Macintosh HD) from the

left side list. Click on the Erase tab in the DU main window.

3. Set the format type to Mac OS Extended (Journaled.) Optionally, click on

the Security button and set the Zero Data option to one-pass. Click on

the Erase button and wait until the process has completed.

4. Quit DU and return to the main menu.

Reinstall OS X: Select Reinstall OS X and click on the Install button.

Note: You will need an active Internet connection. I suggest using Ethernet if possible

because it is three times faster than wireless.

This should install the version of OS X that you had installed.

Feb 12, 2016 11:31 AM in response to Jakespinny

Hello,

I was having a simillar problem after upgrading to El Capitan

When I logged as my self (administrator) I could not shut down at all, finder would not respond, but all other aplications would work.

Couriosly, if I logged as guest or made a safe boot (turn on while pressing shift) this would not happen.

After many tries, I found out that a specif program called "AirDisplay" was causing that because it was automatically oppening from the start up.

I unistalled the program and it resolved my problem.

Maybe you have a similar app that is not compatible with El Capitan...

Felipe

Feb 13, 2016 7:53 AM in response to felipefrombrasilia

Hi I did not find airdisplay, but it got me thinking about other programs that might be causing the problem. I eliminated Cisco Anyconnect and Microsoft Lync and now it seems to be working better. I am also going through and eliminating things I no longer use from the library. I am relatively new to the MAC, about 18 months, things I knew how to do in Windows are different and unfortunately this is helping me learn the MAC a little deeper.

Installed is El Capitan can not shut down computer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.