Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Being prompted for an old iCloud ID when trying to update an app

The App Store is telling me I need to update an app. When I click update, it is prompting me for an old, no longer in use iCloud ID (that I suppose was the one I used when I first acquired this app). I don't remember the password for the old one. I tried signing out and then in again to iCloud on my Mac with my current iCloud ID, but got the same prompt. Any ideas? Thanks very much.

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5), iTunes 12.3

Posted on Feb 6, 2016 2:08 PM

4 replies

Feb 6, 2016 2:15 PM in response to weesye

Yeah, sorry, but apps are forever tied to the Apple ID that they were purchased with. You can go to Apple - My Apple ID, and click on Reset Password. You would need to then put in the old ID, and then answer the Security Questions in order to reset the password on that ID. If you don't remember the answers to your Security Questions, you can contact Apple Support to have them reset:

ACCOUNT SECURITY SUPPORT

If all else fails, you can delete the app and re-purchase it under your current ID. For future reference, if you want to update your Apple/iCloud/iTunes ID to a new email address, you would want to go to that first link provided above, and then click EDIT next to the ID. You could then change it to your new email address, thus keeping the same Apple account but with your new User ID. The only email addresses you would not be able to change it to would be an Apple domain email address (@me, @mac, @iCloud.com).

Best of luck,

GB

Being prompted for an old iCloud ID when trying to update an app

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.