Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

internet constantly drops away after a few seconds?

okay guys, it's been happening for a couple of days now and it's pretty complicated so bear with me please...

(my mac is currently running on version 10.11.3)

so I'm a student in a university and in my room, I can't connect to any network (my university has 2 networks and both seem to not be working). when i connect, it'll work for a few seconds to a minute then it'll drop away. but here's the catch, i can connect to the networks in campus, lecture halls, the library, etc. but just not my room (and i've never had this problem in my room before)?? i've found a temporary solution and it's to forget the network and wait for about 30 minutes to an hour before reconnecting and it'll work (although there are some times that won't even work) until my mac sleeps and when i wake it up, the same problem persists. if i forget the network and reconnect immediately, it will not connect. it is also weird that my mac is having this problem since my phone can connect perfectly.

I've contacted my uni's tech team and they're baffled. I've tried everything.

i've deleted the network preferences list in system configuration; i've resetted PRAM and SMC; flush my DNS; created a new location for my wifi; updated my mac; turning it on and off; turned off bluetooth...

when I try the ping command i get:

ping: sendto: no route to host

request time out for icmp_sep 01

request time out for icmp_sep 02

request time out for icmp_sep 03

please help! i'm so frustrated and no one has been able to give me a good solution! I dont even know what the problem is? is it my mac? or my room?

thank you so much!

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch,Early 2015), null

Posted on Feb 6, 2016 2:20 PM

2 replies

Feb 6, 2016 4:55 PM in response to btlim

Please start up in Recovery mode. In the OS X Utilities screen, select Get Help Online. A clean copy of Safari will launch. No plugins, such as Flash, will be available. While in Recovery, you'll have no access to your saved bookmarks or passwords, so make a note of those before you begin, if they're needed for the test.

Test. After testing, restart as usual and post the results.

Feb 7, 2016 2:21 AM in response to Linc Davis

i did exactly that and it told me that it can't connect because I'm too far away from the router. at least now I know the problem and i'll contact my uni's tech team...but that's strange because the router is installed right outside my room. I don't undertstand how the signal could be that bad? I mean I get a full 3 signal bars even when it drops away

internet constantly drops away after a few seconds?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.