Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

someone just told me that all 2012 and newer retina mbp' are solid state drives. is that correct?

someone told me that all 2012 and later mbp's retina are solid state drives. is that correct?

MacBook Pro, OS X El Capitan (10.11.1), 16 gb ram, 500 gb samsung 850 evo

Posted on Feb 6, 2016 2:52 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 6, 2016 3:06 PM

Yes, that is true. Retina systems are slimmer, lighter. No optical drive, and RAM is soldered to the logic board. Not designed to be opened by common users like you and me ... opening it can void the warranty and give Apple an excuse to refuse future service.

The SSDs in Retina systems are card-based (look up mSATA and M2 format SSDs. And Apple uses a special interface-protocol for its card-SSDs so you cannot just buy any-old-drive off the shelf to use it for upgrading.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 6, 2016 3:06 PM in response to hotrod45

Yes, that is true. Retina systems are slimmer, lighter. No optical drive, and RAM is soldered to the logic board. Not designed to be opened by common users like you and me ... opening it can void the warranty and give Apple an excuse to refuse future service.

The SSDs in Retina systems are card-based (look up mSATA and M2 format SSDs. And Apple uses a special interface-protocol for its card-SSDs so you cannot just buy any-old-drive off the shelf to use it for upgrading.

someone just told me that all 2012 and newer retina mbp' are solid state drives. is that correct?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.