Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Upgrading SSD for Mid-2009 Macbook Pro

What are my options for upgrading to an SSD for my Mid-2009 Macbook Pro?

I've ran into a lot of information that involves the link speeds of 3 gb/s being negotiated to 1.5 gb/s (mine is currently the original HDD and the link speed is being negotiated to 1.5 gb/s)... so I was looking for an SSD that would be 3 GB/s (with an updated firmware driver to make sure it is so).

What are my options, and what would be compatible with my macbook pro? I wanted to also stick the original HDD into the optical drive and use it for backup and media data.

So far I have checked out a few, and I am not sure if all of these listed will be compatible with my mac:

Mac SM0412G PCIe 500 GB speed rank 10th/734

Evo Pro?

+++++Samsung 850 Evo Pro

+++++Samsung 840 Evo Pro 120 GB = $75, 250 GB $100-105@slickdeals, 500 GB = $200-210 -- speed rank 220th/770

+++++Crucial MX-200 250 GB $100, 500 GB = $180 -- speed rank 217th/770, 1TB = $350

PNY CL4111 240 GB = $65

+OWC Mercury Extreme Pro -- link speed 3 gb/s ?

++++++OCZ Vector 150 120 GB = $55, 240 GB = $125-140, 480 GB = $220 -- speed rank 46th/770 -- link speed 3 gb/s

---works on my mac?----

Crucial BX-200 240 GB = $65, 480 GB = $130, 960 GB - $300, 1 TB - $350 -- speed rank 391st/770

-Seagate XT500 hybrid -- link speed 3 gb/s

--Seagate Momentus XT 500 SataII 32 Mb Cache, 7200 rpm Hybrid SSD with jumper cable

Western Digital?

Samsung?

Intel?

Any ideas?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8), null

Posted on Feb 6, 2016 3:26 PM

37 replies

Feb 6, 2016 3:31 PM in response to theMuzzl3

I am running a Crucial, 2 years now with no issue. Others recommend and run only OWC or Crucial.

Samsungs have several reported issues in this forum. Could be that Samsung has not worked to make them really Mac compatible, or could be that so many are running them problems will naturally be reported more often. And some are running them without issues.

Since you ask ... for me ... Crucial or OWC.

Feb 6, 2016 3:41 PM in response to theMuzzl3

There are no new SSD models with 3G. All are now 6G. OWC still has a 3G lineup. Get the 6G model because you won't be able to upgrade firmware on a 3G model. The Samsung 850 Pro does not work in a Mac unless they have been fixed. Ask Samsung. OWC and OCZ are the best ones for a Mac other than the Samsung. For your computer the 840 is a good choice. You don't need the Pro version.

Feb 6, 2016 3:49 PM in response to theMuzzl3

A couple of points you should be aware of. Your 2009 MBP has SATA2 connectivity therefore you will not be able to get the maximum available performance from your SSD. That said, it still will be much faster than a HDD.

Also, you probably should install a new SATA cable along with the SSD. Otherwise the SSD will not work when installed. The forum has many examples of this phenomenon.

Ciao.

Feb 6, 2016 4:16 PM in response to theMuzzl3

I do not believe that OWC sells SATA cables. I would try an Apple store (genius bar) or iFixit.com and Powerbookmedic.com.

Hold off pursuing the cable until and unless you encounter that problem. Just keep in mind that if the SSD boots the MBP externally, but not internally, replace the cable. There are even situations where the HDD will work with the old cable, but the SSD will not.

Ciao.

Feb 6, 2016 4:45 PM in response to KimUserName

Thanks. Do you know of the best option for sticking my old HDD into the optical drive? It would be nice if it was easily removable... because, since I am still on 10.6.8, I will have to use the optical drive to boot the mac for the first time when installing 10.6 onto the SDD... unless there is some easier way of doing that. I suppose I could use time machine and just back everything up onto the HDD and then clone it over to the new SDD.

Feb 6, 2016 5:01 PM in response to theMuzzl3

When I replaced my HD with an SSD I used the following to install the old HD is the optical drive bay. http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B0057V95M6?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detai lpage_o06_s00

OWC also sells the data doubler which will also work. http://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/DDAMBS0GB/

The best way to upgrade to an SSD is to Clone your existing hard drive to the SSD using either Carbon Copy Cloner or Super Duper.

You would connect the SSD to either an external drive case http://eshop.macsales.com/Search/Search.cfm?Ntk=Primary&Ns=P_Price%7c0&Ne=5000&N =6430&Ntt=On-The-Go+Kit or a USB to SATA cable. http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B006J2L0ZM?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detai lpage_o07_s00

The advantage of cloning your hard drive is that you will be able to boot from the SSD without removing your Hard Drive for testing.

Once you are sure it works, you can then swap it out.

Also once you put your old hard drive in the optical bay you will want to format it. I have heard of a problem on this forum where someone was having issues booting into the old HD which was installed in optical bay.

Also if your are planning to upgrade to El Capitan 10.11.3 it would be best to upgrade to at least 8 GB of RAM.

Upgrading SSD for Mid-2009 Macbook Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.