Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photo stream off but still showing shared photo stream

I have Photo Stream off on my phone but in storage it is still showing that I have pics in Shared Photo Stream. When I'm syncing in iTunes it shows I have over 1000 photos on my phone when I have about 100.

This is taking up a ton of room. Any ideas how to fix this?

iPhone 6, iOS 8.1.3

Posted on Feb 6, 2016 2:23 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 8, 2016 8:33 AM

I looked and I didn't see what I was looking, why I posted. And FYI, I have visual problems so I can't spend hours staring at a screen.

If you find it so distasteful to help someone who has a question, (which I'm sure had been asked many time, that's the nature of forums), then don't answer. I'd rather have that than someone giving me a hard time.

thank you for your input.

20 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 8, 2016 8:33 AM in response to TJBUSMC1973

I looked and I didn't see what I was looking, why I posted. And FYI, I have visual problems so I can't spend hours staring at a screen.

If you find it so distasteful to help someone who has a question, (which I'm sure had been asked many time, that's the nature of forums), then don't answer. I'd rather have that than someone giving me a hard time.

thank you for your input.

Feb 15, 2017 11:21 AM in response to boyanFG

OK, so since you have iCloud Photo Sharing turned off under Settings, then I would recommend you try resetting your device (nothing will be lost - except the excess storage usage, hopefully): Hold down the Home and Power buttons (or if you have an iPhone 7 the Volume Down and Power buttons) at the same time, and continue to hold them both down until the Apple appears (up to 30 seconds). Once the Lock Screen displays, see if the issue is resolved.

If that doesn't resolve the issue, then my next recommendation would be that you back up your device to iTunes or iCloud, then erase and restore it from the backup:

Back up and restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch using iCloud or iTunes - Apple Support

Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch from a backup - Apple Support

Post back if you have any questions!

Cheers,

GB

Feb 8, 2016 4:26 AM in response to mewkiss

mewkiss wrote:

If that's a polite way of saying I'm a dumb *** thank you.

There are literally hundreds of support articles on the Apple Support website, including an online user's guide. My recommendation is to review those first when you have a question, to save yourself time. You'll find an enormous amount of information that will make using your device much easier and more enjoyable.

Feb 12, 2017 5:01 AM in response to mewkiss

I am sorry, I have a similar problem and did not find a solution yet.

According to the storage information more than one GB on my iPad is used up by the shared photo stream of my photos and camera app. If I switch to the Photos & Camera settings everything is turned of.

I know there are hundreds of documents that I could read to find a solution, but maybe somebody already found the solution to this proble and could save me the time to browse through the whole documentation. I would very much appreciate help on this subject.

Thank you!

Frank

Feb 6, 2016 2:36 PM in response to mewkiss

Photo Stream and iCloud Photo Sharing are separate functions. Both are located under Settings>Photos & Camera.

Are you indicating that you do not have any photos in your Camera Roll, or in any other albums except the Photo Stream album?

If you have albums on your device that you sync'd from iTunes, then you have to "un-sync" them the same way - via iTunes, by unchecking the selected albums under the Photos option under your Device in iTunes.

If the only place you see any photos is in your Photo Stream, then do this process to make sure that you don't have any lingering "Recently Deleted" photos that are not visible as a result of an issue with the way iOS 8 was archiving recently deleted photos:

1. Go to Settings>General>Date & Time, change your date to manual, and then change the date itself to 9/01/2014

2. Open your Photos app, and click on the Recently Deleted folder to see if you can see any photos there. If you can, select and delete these manually

3. Once you have deleted them all, quit the Photos app by double-clicking the Home key and swiping up on the Photos app thumbnail

4. See if that reduces your photo storage on your device

5. Don't forget to change the Date/Time back to Automatic

Best of luck,

GB

Feb 6, 2016 2:44 PM in response to gail from maine

I don't think I explained correctly but I know what you said is not what I have or want.

I have about 100 pics on my phone in my camera roll, deleted and one small album. I have nothing in icloud. I want what is on my phone to be on my phone and not in the cloud or in iPhoto on my Macbook.

I have photo sharing off on my phone and I do not sync photos when I am connected to iTunes. However my phone shows I have photos in photo sharing stream when I got to storage management. When I am syncing to iTunes, it shows I have over 1000 photos on my phone.

When I take a photo, I only want it on my phone. Is that even possible? Also when I am synced and I go to iPhoto is shows all the photos in iPhoto on my phone which aren't and I don't want.

Does that explain better? Thanks

Feb 6, 2016 3:00 PM in response to mewkiss

Still not understanding:

mewkiss wrote:

However my phone shows I have photos in photo sharing stream when I got to storage management.

What is the specific path you are going to when you see this, and what is the exact description of the line item?

mewkiss wrote:

When I am syncing to iTunes, it shows I have over 1000 photos on my phone.

Again, not sure where you are seeing any indication that there are over 1000 photos on your phone when you are syncing. Where are you seeing this information?

mewkiss wrote:

When I take a photo, I only want it on my phone. Is that even possible? Also when I am synced and I go to iPhoto is shows all the photos in iPhoto on my phone which aren't and I don't want.

iPhoto is a library on your Mac where you import photos from your phone. If you do not import these photos to your Mac, then if something happens to your phone (if it is lost or stolen, if it is accidentally destroyed), unless you have imported your photos, they will be lost forever.

If you do not want any photos in your iPhoto app, you can go to the Photos album in iPhoto under the Library section, click on the first photo showing and, scroll down to the bottom of the library, click on the Shift key and then click on the last photo to select them all. Once they have been selected, click on the Photos option in the top menu, then on Move to Trash.

Once you have deleted all of them, make sure that on your phone, under Settings>iCloud, that you do not have My Photo Stream or iCloud Photo Sharing turned on.

On your Mac, under Preferences in iPhoto, make sure that "Connecting Camera Opens" is showing "No Application", and that you have no settings turned on under the iCloud tab in Preferences.

Cheers,

GB

Feb 6, 2016 3:20 PM in response to gail from maine

You're totally over thinking this i think.

On my phone Settings>general>usage>manage storage>photos and camera>shared photo stream.

I don't have photo stream on so I don't know what could be there that is taking up room.

When I have my phone plugged in to sync and iTunes is open. I am looking at a summary of what is taking up room on my phone (the bar across the bottom of itunes) it shows I have over 1000 photos. I don't

When my phone is plugged in and iPhoto is open and I click on the phone icon. It shows I have 1000 photos on my phone. I don't.

I have zero photos in iCloud.

If I have a pic on my phone that I want on my computer I'll email it to myself. To me my phone is a separate entity from my computer. I do not want my phone to think every photo in iPhoto is on my phone. It is taking up space I need.

I never said anything about deleting things from iPhoto.

Feb 6, 2016 7:49 PM in response to mewkiss

Again, a Shared Photo Stream is not the same thing as Photo Stream. Based on what you have posted above, the Storage information under General is indicating that you indeed, have a Shared Photo Stream on your device.

Go to Settings>Photos & Camera, and toggle iCloud Photo Sharing Off it is is not off. If it is Off, toggle it On then back Off.

You can also try resetting your device by holding down the Home and Power buttons at the same time. Continue to hold them both down until the Apple appears (up to 30 seconds). Once the Slide to Unlock screen displays, see if the Storage and iTunes info now match.

I would also still suggest that you follow the instructions in my first reply so that you can ensure that you do not have any photos that should have aged off but which have not.

If none of those steps work, then you final option is to Erase your phone and restore it from a backup.

Best of luck,

GB

Photo stream off but still showing shared photo stream

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.