Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

The all-new Logic Pro for iPad and Mac delivers breakthrough music-making experiences. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Logic Pro vs Cubase Elements 8

I am wanting to get back into Audio Recording after 10 years of being away from it. I used to use Cubase 4 LE and have looked at some tutorials online and other than a "sweet" looking and "easier looking" mixer panel in Cubase 8, all other looks pretty much the same in the two DAW's.

MY DUTIES WILL INCLUDE:

- Recording live via external Lexicon or M-Audio interface

- Will seldom use the software monitoring technique; that is, will usually use the interface to mixer output to talent

- Will record mostly mic and line inputs although occasionally will do some instruments as I get more familiar with each suite

- Will output to CD or mp3 or wav

- Will want to record via both the iMac AND MacBook Pro

- No dongles or hardware license forms (must be software)

Any recommendations or considerations?

iMac with Retina 5K display, OS X El Capitan (10.11.2), 4.0GHz, 256 SSD, 32GB, M395X, FCPX

Posted on Feb 6, 2016 2:49 PM

12 replies

Feb 6, 2016 6:19 PM in response to Indyuser

Indyuser wrote:

Hey Penn-Ohio - you around PGH? That's my hometown...

Anyway you are on a logic forum - Of course with no bias, being objective, having done our research, and not trying to pursuade you one way or the other....

Logic would be my choice 😉

Yes wife and I moved away from Pittsburgh three years ago this spring to take care of aging parents in the Portsmouth OH - Ashland KY area.

Well, I sorta posted in a Logic forum just for that purpose. I mean Apple makes the computer and Apple makes the software, it should work right? And without any hitches right? That's been the case since I switched from Avid Media Composer (money grabbing NLE) to Apple Final Cut Pro. However, in the case of Logic Pro, is it feature packed? Got the right toolset? Etc.?

I'm a video editor not an audio editor but wanna be the latter also and wanna make sure I pick a learning path that is appropriate and has the right features that smell good. I've watched a couple Cubase tutorials and love the mixer panel and how ya can just drop effects in the upper window and copy/paste them around across the various channels and just curious if I'd be ahead to go that route since I used it nearly 10 years ago OR if I'd be better to go with the single source design/hardware config of Apple/Apple. :-)

Feb 6, 2016 6:27 PM in response to Pancenter

Pancenter wrote:

At the coast of $10 Cubase el 8 Is a no-brainer. Especially considering what you want to do. (recording live) I take it you're talking about the upgrade recently offered? Cubase's audio engine is very good, all DAW applications record the same, it's the recording interface that makes the difference in sound.

Cubase LE8 $10 or $100? If the former, where can I get that? Steinebrg has made me an offer of $99 for a full version of Cubase Elements 8 because of my previous LE4 loyalty but as I say that was eon's ago (almost a decade) and in this business a few years and it's a new industry.

If the recording is the same then I'm not worried. All the work I have done of late has been in Garage Band and it's sort of toyish for the most part in my opinion but nonetheless it has worked for my VO's and a couple of effects that I've wanted to produce. And my experience with Avid and their continual "upgrades" nickel dime'ing ya to death, Pro Tools is a NO!

INTERFACES: I personally like the M-Audio, which I have along with a Lexicon Lambda, and both work fine with El Capitan. In fact, thy work better than they did previously. That is, they used to drop out or would have trouble getting them connected whereas with El Capitan, plug 'em in and an hour later not using them they are still live. I didn't have to worry about them setting there alive previously, they'd just disappear on their own but with EC they are there all the time and I worry them dying off from overuse (plugged in) and thus unplug them when not in use.

Recommendations on interfaces?

Feb 6, 2016 7:22 PM in response to Penn-Ohio

If your are a FCP guy - stick with Logic - It is really fantastic - the learning curve is a little steep, but there is no better single source package. You can do it all with it. ( and if your are family with GB it will be an easy transition). There are some great forums and great people to help along the way too. Good luck in your decision.

We moved away too and am now am in Indianapolis -

Feb 6, 2016 7:55 PM in response to Indyuser

Indyuser wrote:

If your are a FCP guy - stick with Logic - It is really fantastic - the learning curve is a little steep, but there is no better single source package. . . . Good luck in your decision. . . . We moved away too and am now am in Indianapolis -

I'd like Logic I only worry about how difficult it might be to insert effects and the toolset adjustments. The Cubase is easy from the tutorials I've watched but I'll go do the same for Logic first before abandoning the idea. My first recording date for a 4 song recording with 5 vocalist and 3 instruments, is the 22nd and I'm hoping to be up and running to just record the vocal/instrument tracks by that date. I don't need to know any more than just how to get pristine audio recorded one track at a time. Also, I won't be using a software monitor but instead a hardware monitor to the vocalist/instrumentalist via interface output and mixer. Regardless of the decision, I will post it back here along with the first response after the 22nd recording session.

Yeah, I miss everything about Pittsburgh BUT the winters. The winters here haven't been awesome but around 10 degrees warmer and about half the snow. :-)

Feb 6, 2016 8:27 PM in response to Pancenter

Pancenter wrote: . . . You computer specs are excellent.

Thanks. I did some research before making the plunge. BTW, I sold a MacPro to get the iMac with 8GB memory and purchased 32GB memory from OWC as recommended by Apple's Business Department. :-) Before selling the MacPro I ran HD multcam video tests between the machines on the same FCP Project and the iMac stayed right with and surpassed the MacPro without any of the glitches in the iMac that I experienced between the MacPro and Thunderbolt display. The iMac is awesome. I'll never get another MacPro.

Feb 6, 2016 9:04 PM in response to Penn-Ohio

As Indy mentions, since you're an FCP person it may be best to stick with Logic... although... in my personal opinion, between the new operating systems and the latest Logic release there have been a lot of fairly serious problems. Peruse the messages in this forum.

I had a copy of Cubase LE that came with some hardware I purchased, a week or two ago I got a notice from Steinberg that I could upgrade to Cubase LE 8 for $9.99. This was for all versions... 4, 5 & 6 of LE , Elements or AI

I use Logic 9 on an late 2010 MacPro and Also have a PC with Cubase 6 (full version). I figured getting LE8 would give me a change to check out the new interface.

Feb 6, 2016 9:15 PM in response to Pancenter

That makes a lot of sense. I had LE4 and tried to upgrade but it won't let me. I've gone back and forth over and over for almost two weeks now with Steinberg to get an upgrade or some discount because I own LE4 previously and the best they will do is $99 for a full Elements 8 or $49 for LE8. I've been a little frosted over the hassle back and forth and have just given up on them getting me some kind of good deal so to speak. I have learned that if you go with the LE they don't support it because it's an OEM that came with a piece of hardware. So, for that reason I was going Full Version. However, I've been watching the Logic Pro tutorials by MusicTechHelpGuy and I'm sold on the mixer. I just didn't realize ya could bring it up with just a CMD + 2. And it looks like ya can drop the effects right on the mixer bar at the top just like the latest Cubase. I like that. Sold, I'm going with Logic Pro and IF I purchase a three or more channel interface in the future, I'll probably make it M-Audio and most all the 6 or 8 channel interfaces from them come with Cubase LE8.

Feb 6, 2016 9:40 PM in response to Indyuser

Indyuser wrote:

His videos are great. Watch them all.

You will probably want to buy two copies of Logic then....(for you and your wife)😁

Yes, he's quite clear and very to the point and explanatory in detail. His voice is tolerable. My wife could care less about what I do audio/video wise. Hehehe. Even when I ran the TV production business back in Pittsburgh, we produced between 8 and 12 videos a month, of which 5 or more were for broadcast and of the 350+ TV programs we produced, my wife ran Cam 2 on probably close to 300 of them and even at the end of my business lifecycle, she'd ask, "How do I get it brighter?" In her defense though, she was a professional realtor and I didn't pay her, so she's totally forgiven. Oh and she ran Cam 2 at more than a 100 weddings also, only those I paid her 50 or 100 bucks. :-)

Logic Pro vs Cubase Elements 8

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.