Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Late 2013) fan never turns on

I live in the tropics in very-south Mexico, it is daily 90 degrees, yet my computer's fan never turns on. Is this normal? A few months after I got it, I got the spinning globe of death, and the computer basically stopped working. We had to hand-deliver it to Oaxaca City to the nearest Apple Store (8 hour drive), and when we got there the computer was magically working and the fan was on full blast... first time I had ever heard it turn on!!! The humidity and temperature are much less in Oaxaca. So.. long story short, they said they fixed it, and it worked when I tried it in Oaxaca, but when I got back to the tropics, it did not work.. spinning globe of death again. I waited until I came home to CA and had the apple people look at it there. They replaced the logic board. It's been working just fine ever since. But I worry about the fact that I have never heard the fan except for that one time in Oaxaca. When I use it in the tropics, I use books to boost it off the table, so maybe all is well? I'm in CA now and thinking of going to apple just to see, but it is out of warranty and I thought I'd try here first. Going back to the tropics in a few weeks and want to know if this is an issue to look into or not. My power cord box gets very hot, but it's hard to know what's normal for the computer itself.

Thanks!

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X El Capitan (10.11.2)

Posted on Feb 6, 2016 3:36 PM

3 replies

Feb 6, 2016 3:43 PM in response to eadca

The fan should be always on when the MBP is operating. If it is off, that is NOT normal. It is a question of how fast. When at the default speed, it should be quiet and barely noticeable. When the internal temperatures rise, the fan speed should increase and will then become audible.

Install a temperature/fan speed application which will allow you to monitor the fan and temperatures.

Ciao.

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Late 2013) fan never turns on

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.