Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Microsoft Word 2016 won't let me save documents directly to a folder?

I was typing normally in a word document earlier, listening to Pandora online, and then my entire computer froze up and shut off. When it turned back on, I eventually found my lost document and tried to save it. I can still save documents in Microsoft Word as .docx, but when I try to place them in an individual folder under 'Documents' like 'Short Stories' or 'Poems', I get an error message that reads:

'Word cannot save or create this file. The disk may be full or write-protected.

Try one or more of the following:

* Free more memory.

* Make sure that the disk you want to save the file on is not full, write-protected, or damaged.'

I have uninstalled and reinstalled Office 365, restarted my laptop, updated my OS, looked through every other available forum under the sun that even remotely addresses this issue and I STILL can't fix this problem. I tried saving Pages to see if it had the same problem, but it saves to individual files just fine.

When I save a document, I can go into Finder and move the file manually to the folder I want it in, but I'm frustrated over why I can't fix the issue in the first place. The only other things I can think of are that when I was trying to find my Autorecovery doc from earlier, I changed the save location for Autorecovery, but have since reset it to its previous location thinking that might fix the problem. I can't figure out what else could be wrong. Help?

My device is a Macbook Pro 13''.

(Note: Creating new folders did not solve the problem, either.)

MacBook Pro

Posted on Feb 6, 2016 7:06 PM

7 replies

Microsoft Word 2016 won't let me save documents directly to a folder?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.