Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

When I run my battery down once a week or so should I run it out to 0?

When I run my battery down on the I pad Air 2 once a week or so, is it good to run it out to 0 charge?

iPad Air, iOS 8.3

Posted on Feb 6, 2016 3:40 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 6, 2016 3:41 PM

It is not advisable to deplete Lithium based batteries to such low levels.

4 replies

Feb 6, 2016 6:11 PM in response to Blue feet

I am going to issue my own understanding about lithium battery technolgy.

I am of the understanding that it is not best to consistently drain the battery completely down as this will shorten a lithium ion battery's long term life.

That stated, I do not let my iDevices drain down once a week. I think doing this 52 times a year is too often to drain down and charge up a lithium ion battery.

I have, consistently, only completely drain my iDevice batteries down to zero and charge back up from zero to 100% charge only once a month (I let all my devices run down over the last weekend of the month).

The batteries in my 4 and 5 year old iPad 2 and iPad 3 are still charging and draining properly by following this practice.

The batteries get drained to zero less often and extends the long term life of a lithium ion battery.

I feel 12 times a year for a complete battery drain to zero is plenty. That's 48 to 60 full charge cycles over a five year life of the iDevice.

If anyone feels that I am power cycling draining/charging too few times, than maybe drain your iDevices every two weeks, then.

That is only 21 power cycle drain/charges a year. Still far better for the life of the lithium ion battery.

I just feel 52 full power cycle drains/charges a year is just too many a year to be doing to your iDevices.

Completely my own opinion and practices that have worked for me.

Your mileage may vary.

🙂

Feb 7, 2016 2:48 PM in response to MichelPM

I Have a 4 year old iPad 2 where I drained it down to zero maybe twice. The rest of the time, I just charged it when it was low. Which ended up being 3-4 times a week....I'd use the rule of thumb 'do I have enough battery to last tomorrow?' As my guide

I've handed the iPad down to my mom who uses it to play games and I think maybe changes it 2-3 times a week....and even when I was still using it I'd get between 6-10 hours out of the charge - depending on what I was doing'

Going by my experience, I don't really buy into the 'regularly run it down to nothing' frame of mind. I use mine until the charge gets low and then charge it overnight. I've taken up playing a couple of games so I'm probably charging my mini 4 or 5 nights a week - and it's usual at 20 - 40 % left when I put it on the charger.

When I run my battery down once a week or so should I run it out to 0?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.