Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

When connected to an HDTV, can I turn-off my MacBook(late 2011) display?

With a Windows laptop you can toggle between the laptop screen and external displays. One or the other, or both on. Can I do this with my late 2011 MacBook?

When I have my MacBook connected to my HDTV I only want to see the display on my HDTV. Can I turn off the MacBook display?

MacBook Pro (13-inch Late 2011), El Capitan, 10.11.3

Posted on Feb 6, 2016 7:34 PM

8 replies

Feb 6, 2016 7:38 PM in response to z-shutterbug

The Mac has had very flexible options to use multiple displays since the early days of the Mac-II circa 1987. But the assumption has always been that you wanted to use those displays.

There are many options to have different items on different displays, including only a blank background, and you can turn its brightness down. But there are not simple ways to turn it OFF.

Feb 6, 2016 8:15 PM in response to z-shutterbug

First, turn off mirroring. Then the displays are independent. This gives you "Extended Desktop", like this:

User uploaded file

drag the windows until they agree with the way your two displays are on your bench. Then the mouse moves freely across the boundary between the displays, and can drag a window (like the movie-viewing window) with it onto the HDTV.

To get rid of the window border, try "Full Screen". In some cases, this may even blank the built-in display (but not turn it off completely).

When connected to an HDTV, can I turn-off my MacBook(late 2011) display?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.