Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What should I do if my magic mouse chews up batteries and disconnects on and off?

What should I do if my magic mouse chews up batteries and disconnects on and off?

Apple Magic Trackpad-OTHER, iOS 9.2.1

Posted on Feb 6, 2016 9:02 PM

1 reply

Feb 6, 2016 11:45 PM in response to Fred561AA

Hello Fred.

Here are a few notes I have put together about batteries.

Whether you use regular or rechargeable batteries you should buy the best. Discounted or unbranded batteries are more likely to give a poor performance and may be of irregular size ... which all too often leads to connection problems.

It’s my experience that Duracell 2400, Eneloop and Energiser are the best. Apple batteries of late do not always perform well, rarely exceeding seven to nine days before a need for recharge. But the Apple charging unit is excellent and comes with 6 batteries which means you can always have 2 charged and ready.

Rechargeable batteries for a Magic mouse are unlikely to exceed sixteen days before needing recharge although the brand of mouse can be important; I have seen reports that some Logitech mice vastly exceed this. Apple may suggest more in their sales blurb but this is a realistic expectation. Regular batteries will give you between 25 and 35 days before they need to be replaced. Green aspect apart, the main benefit with rechargeable batteries is that you can always have batteries on hand that at worst need only a top up.

Note(1) Never mix old and new batteries or rechargeable and regular.

Note (2) Monitors do not always faithfully report battery strength, particularly the rechargeable ones.

The notes above are based on my personal experience, not shutting down my machine and using it for around four hours per day.

When checking your mouse or keyboard batteries ... Turn off the device. Remove the batteries, Clean the terminals both inside the battery compartment and those of the batteries themselves. Replace both batteries or renew if necessary. Turn on the device. You should get a blinking green light if the device is paired. Click the mouse to activate it. The green light becomes steady.

Other problems of erratic disconnection can be caused by interference.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.