Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

after editing in iMovie and sharing the clip to desktop --- the clip won't play

After I make an edit in iMovie and then use sure to file the clip won't play in any player.... Quicktime, DVX or Flip player ??? They all have an error message that the player can't play the file???

iMac, OS X El Capitan (10.11.3)

Posted on Feb 6, 2016 7:21 PM

1 reply

Feb 8, 2016 9:14 AM in response to buffsr

Howdy buffsr,

It sounds like you have shared an iMovie project as a file and that resulting file cannot play back in any media player on the computer. If you hadn't yet shared it as a file to somewhere on your computer, and are watching it in a different way, then I would first share it to a file:

Export a QuickTime file

If this is what you are doing, then that makes it seem to me that there may be some third party plugins that may be interfering with the playback. I would check in these location for any codecs that do not start with Apple, and move them to the desktop so they are no longer in the folder:

/Macintosh HD/Library/Quicktime/

Once they are moved to the desktop and not in the folder anymore restart the computer and try playing the video back again. If it works then add the codecs back one by one, restarting each time and testing until you find the problematic codec.

If this is not the case can you create a new admin user on the computer and see if the video will play back there?

OS X El Capitan: Set up users on your Mac

Also do you have another computer to test the file out with? Thank you for using Apple Support Communities, please let us know how this goes!

after editing in iMovie and sharing the clip to desktop --- the clip won't play

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.