Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMessage crash and not functioning

I will get a notification upon receiving a iMessage and a notification on the icon, but when opening the iMessage app, it brings me to the screen as if I was sending a new message. From here I can attempt to add a name to send the message to. it will allow me to type a name and will start to filter thru contacts, but as soon as the contact is chosen, the app will crash.

the other function I can do is hit the cancel off of the message screen and it takes me to the message list. there are no messages displayed and no other options for me to choose, other than draft a new message, which crashes when one attempts to choose a recipient.

restarts of the phone, changing settings and everything else I have tried has not worked

IOS 9.2.1 on a iPhone 6sPlus

iPhone 6s Plus, iOS 9.2.1

Posted on Feb 6, 2016 8:23 PM

1 reply

Feb 8, 2016 8:35 AM in response to magua9783

Hi magua9783,

Welcome to Apple Support Communities.

It sounds like you've done quite a bit of troubleshooting while trying to resolve an issue that's causing the Messages app to quit unexpectedly on your iPhone 6s Plus. If you haven't already, try updating iOS and the carrier settings on your device as described in the article below.

If you can't send or receive messages on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Restart your device and check for updates

1. Restart your device.
  2. Check for a carrier settings update.
  3. Check for an iOS software update.

If the issue persists, try restoring your iPhone as shown here:

Restore your device from an iCloud or iTunes backup - Apple Support

Cheers.

iMessage crash and not functioning

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.