Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can i tell if my iMac wi-fi or if my router has been hacked?

Early 2009 iMac running Yosemite. Other macs at home running Lion and Mavericks. Running current AVAST.

How common is it to have ones home wireless router or iMac hacked and be used as a node by a hacker? There is a strange behavior with my wi-fi network in my home. I will have good connection to my cisco wireless router, then for no apparent reason my wi-fi icon will greyout, and my I cannot navigate to websites. When I mouse over the icon, it shows that I am still connected to my network (router), but my navigations will time out saying no internet connection.

If I turn off Wi-Fi and wait a few seconds, then turn wi-fi back on, it reconnects and sometimes stays good, and sometimes will do it again. If I reboot, it seems to stay good until I leave the machine. It seems a random thing, but is happening frequently.

This happens regardless of the browser I am using, and it happens on other macs here at home. I have reset my router, reset my DSL, reset everything I know to do. The problem persists. Almost seems as long as I am using it, it stays connected and does not grey out. Occasionally icon will show that I am connected and if I mouse over, it shows connection my my network, but browser will time out saying no internet connection. This all seems strange.

Could I have been hacked and/or could hackers somehow be controlling the connection. I have begun turning wi-fi off when I am not using a machine. I am not familiar with the routers interface; I am competent to explore it with guidance.

Thanks in advance if you have any ideas or input on how to proceed with an investigation of the problem.

jw

iMac

Posted on Feb 6, 2016 8:29 PM

9 replies

Feb 6, 2016 9:08 PM in response to ShenValleyTchr

First uninstall Avast as it is 100% worthless and the possible cause of your problems. OS X does not require ANY antivirus, cleaning or third party utilities to make it run better. Locate the developers instructions and uninstall Avast and any other similar apps. Then restart the computer in Safe Mode and then restart normally and re-test.

Feb 6, 2016 9:58 PM in response to rkaufmann87

Thanks for a quick reply.

Had this issue before I installed AVAST. In fact, I installed AVAST to see if antivurus I could identify something on the machines. They haven't. I'm not against removing it, but don't see it as part of the problem. In fact, I have this issue on a fresh install of lion with nothing else installed except chrome. This is why I am suspecting that I have been hacked. Seems reasonable to suspect the router.

Any other ideas?

Thanks in advance for your responses.

jw

Feb 6, 2016 10:39 PM in response to rkaufmann87

Also, when you get back to me . . .

How do you suggest I re-test? So far I have only made observations. I have been using macs for 5 years, but have not really encountered any problems before this, so I haven't ever run diagnostic software and am uninformed as to what to use that would address this type of problem.

Thanks and I will watch for a reply.

Feb 7, 2016 2:48 AM in response to ShenValleyTchr

ShenValleyTchr wrote:

How common is it to have ones home wireless router or iMac hacked and be used as a node by a hacker?

Slightly less likely than a band of aliens that feed on WiFi signals have invaded your neighborhood. There are many reasons you could have intermittent WiFi problems. One thing you can do is contact your internet provider and ask. You can ask them how to change your router to a less crowded channel for one thing.

Feb 7, 2016 3:07 AM in response to ShenValleyTchr

Just to add, not saying that this is the cause, but I was having intermittent connection problems with my former ISP. They traced my line several times. sent out techs several times. Turned out, squirrels liked to chew on the cable insulation which would expose the lines and cause intermittent shorts when it would rain or the wind would blow. They replaced the faulty cable and everything worked after that.

Feb 7, 2016 7:56 AM in response to ShenValleyTchr

Thank you all for your responses.

This never happens to the PC my wife uses, and I have a MBP that I bring home from school and it doesn't happen on that machine. I get the discussion of the replies about how safe OSX is from virus et al, and the install of AVAST is temporary and just another idea that I have tried. So thank you all for your urging me to keep my macs pure and clean. I do believe in that and have practiced it even in the face of IT people at the school district level who have insisted that I must have antivirus/malware protection on my MBP if I plan to connect to the network at school. That MBP does have AVAST, but only because school IP people will block my mac address if I don't have something installed. Ironically, that is one of the macs that doesn't behave the way my 27" the 21.5 and the old 20" do. I also have an old MBP (late 2008 17") that does not have this problem.

I do have a neighbor whose routers I see whenever I look at the available connections, however her router has always been there (for years), and this problem has surfaced around Thanksgiving time. I totally wiped the hard drive on the 21.5 and reinstalled Lion to see if a different version would behave differently, but it behaved the same way. I have two repeaters/extenders in my 6000 ft home. I have not set my iMacs to ignore the neighbors routers. I think I know how to do that.

I don't think it is related (unless the hub is the villain), but my Samsung SMART TV (which is hard wired to the cisco router) has begun behaving badly since the Jonas snowstorm here in the east: The HUB will just kick the TV off the network: i.e., when I am on AppleTV watching CNN or other. Also, sometimes the HUB won't open and I have to try several times. We have been kicked out of Netflix and Pandora also, but again, this is recent with the TV and the computers have been doing this since before Christmas. So, dialabrain, your suggestion that there could be an issue with transmission lines makes sense. But all the lines are buried up to my home and are in conduit coming out of the ground. I don't have mice in my home (and I'm not just denying how pesky varmints can be-- I have both traps and bait and a beast of a Maine Coon cat who kills any rodent that moves in its presence).

It feels like I should be thinking about the router. I will see what Cisco has in the way of a support community and will post back here if I find a solution.

I apologize for such long posts. I will try to be more direct and concise if there are other replies.

Thanks for your input. Thanks in advance for your thinking on this problem with me.

jw

How can i tell if my iMac wi-fi or if my router has been hacked?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.