Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how do you delete old contact number in message OS X

In the "To:" box in the Messages app on OS X 10.10.5, when I start typing in a contact name, I get old "iMessage" contacts which I've long since deleted. They certainly don't exist in my contacts and deleted from iPhone message history.

How can I delete them? Thanks

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Feb 6, 2016 10:34 PM

2 replies

Feb 7, 2016 11:46 AM in response to Tunnel

Hi,

In ~/Library/Containers/com.apple.soagent/Data/Preferences are some .plists that are not Alias ones that point to the real item in ~/Library/Preferences.

SOAgent is a support app for Messages and FaceTime.

This .plist com.apple.messageshelper.AccountInfoController.plist holds the Screen Names and IDs of your Buddy Lists.

It also seems to hold the FaceTime info for your recent Contacts suing that app.

What it does not seem to clearly hold is the Valid Contact details of iMessages conversations

This is a Screen Shot on mine opened in Xcode

User uploaded file

It lists only one Messages (iMessages) Contact and whilst I don't have many it should list my Wife, daughter, son and son-in-law and possibly a group one containing my daughter and son-in-law

You could try deleting this .plist (Drag to Trash) and restarting Messages.

The Buddy Lists are pushed to your from the Servers so will be easily replaced.

User uploaded file

7:46 pm Sunday; February 7, 2016

 iMac 2.5Ghz i5 2011 (Mavericks 10.9)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 Couple of iPhones and an iPad

how do you delete old contact number in message OS X

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.