Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Mini i5 2011 HDMI handshake/flicker issue

I'm having the same issue with a Mac mini (Mid 2011) with the model identifier of Macmini5,2 and a Denon avr-x2200w. My MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013) doesn't have this problem with the Devon and neither does my PS4, this is clearly a problem with the Mac mini. I've also tried multiple cables and nothing seems to fix it although the Mac mini doesn't have this problem with my Sony TV. I think there must be a handshake issue going on.

<Post Branched by Host>

Posted on Feb 6, 2016 6:22 PM

7 replies

Sep 29, 2017 12:50 AM in response to hadees

I have the same issue with Sony STR-ZA1100ES and Sony VPL-HW45ES projector. Mid-2011 MacMini's image just blacks out every 7 seconds when connected to receiver. Direct connection to projector works GREAT!

Note that I have 2 same MacMini's to test, and they both have same issue.

I suspect it has to do with AMD and DRIVERS and HDCP handshake or not establishing HDMI frequency lock.

I am still in the process of finding the exact solution, but those things DON'T work:

-NVRAM reset.

-macOS updates (tried 10.9.3, 10.9.5, 10.11.6, 10.12.6, 10.13!!!!)

-EFI update

-Various HDMI cables

-mDP (passive adapter) to HDMI (the same flickering/blacking out issue)

-Plugable Active Mini DisplayPort to HDMI 2.0 (gave me for a second weird artifacts then no signal at all, will be testing again)

After reading a lot, and testing, there are couple possible solutions:

-Getting HDMI splitter to remove HDCP. Worked for some people. Can be illegal if you use this for piracy, obviously not the case in this thread.

https://www.tweaking4all.com/home-theatre/remove-hdcp-hdmi-signal/

https://www.jdhodges.com/blog/hdmi-hdcp-stripper/

-Using device - Dr. HDMI from monoprice. Priced at about $90.

-Using active mDP to HDMI (people claimed Club3D worked, will test it)

So the issue is definitely macOS software related, as a lot of people on the forums have exactly the same issues with various AV receivers.

Feb 7, 2016 12:55 AM in response to hadees

Did you try general things, such as an SMC reset?

• Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC) on your Mac - Apple Support

Or perhaps NVRAM reset?

• How to Reset NVRAM on your Mac - Apple Support

Is there a different port or another type of adapter that may be suitable for use in

this situation with the third-party audio product you've stated? Apple shows a few

in their online store page.

Perhaps another reader with familiarity with your hardware and OS X will offer help.

Good luck & happy computing! 🙂

{...PS: Your topic was relocated + renamed from an old thread to give it a fresh start...}

Feb 26, 2016 5:57 PM in response to K Shaffer

I have this problem also, as do many people in various forums.

I have a mid 2011 Mac Mini with 4GB of memory, and using either HDMI or Thunderbolt>HDMI via adaptor, the screen blacks for about 0.5 seconds once every seven seconds or so when connected to my Pioneer AV VSX receiver. When connected directly to an LG OLED TV or to my Mitsubishi HD projector the problem doesn't exist. This was straight out of the box, the problem didn't develop over time.

There has been some suggestions that this is some kind of handshaking or HDCP issue. Very good informed article here:

http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/archives/jan16/010416.html

The common denominator seems to be 2011 and 2012 Mac Mini connected into an HDMI socket on an AV receiver.

I too have tried NVRAM reset, changing cables, updating to latest EFI version and so on. Nothing changes.

No-one seems to have a solution; Apple haven't offered one. It seems that the Mac Mini 2011/2012 cannot be used with the HDMI inputs of AV receivers and the only two options are either to cable directly into a monitor or projector - this is a problem when I want to switch between sources and also to switch between outputs(TV or projector) - or upgrade to a later Mac Mini where perhaps the different graphics chips will make a difference.

Dec 28, 2016 7:23 AM in response to RichieLeeLambert

We have had a similar problem when using HDMI KVM switch boxes with the Macmini5,1 i.e. 2011 model. I don't believe it is necessarily HDCP but is it seems a HDMI handshake/frequency matching problem.

We managed to 'cure' the problem by using an active Mini Displayport to HDMI adapter. The one we used successfully was this one - http://www.club-3d.com/index.php/products/reader.en/product/mini-displayport-12- to-hdmi-20-uhd-active-adapter.html

Using the same cables, screen, and KVM did not cause a problem on newer Mac mini models e.g. the 2012 and 2014 models, only the 2011 model was affected.

Mac Mini i5 2011 HDMI handshake/flicker issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.