Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

i cannot open iPhoto, the wheel keeps on turning when I click on iPhoto

I am using IMAC with Processor 2.5 GHZ intel Core i5, Memory 4 GB, Version 9.6 (910.29)

OSX YOSEMITE version 10.10.2

My iPhoto will not open when I click on iPhoto but the wheel keeps on turning & turning & will not stop till I quit. I have tried several times yesterday

Posted on Feb 7, 2016 12:28 AM

4 replies

Feb 7, 2016 1:37 AM in response to Ospizio1942M

Note that this procedure was labelled a test. It tells us that your iPhoto application is okay and the issues are with your Library.

An unfortunately necessary digression:

since I did not back up my photos & it means a lot to me.

There is a contradiction here. If these photos mean a lot to you the very next thing you do is to back up your iPhoto Library. Your photos are probably not lost - probably - but now any changes we make will risk them further. By backing up now we can at least return to this point if all else fails. Using a computer without a back up of important data is like driving without a seatbelt. You may never have an accident, but the day you do will be a much bigger mess without one.

Most Simple Back Up:

Drag the iPhoto Library from your Pictures Folder to another Disk. This will make a copy on that disk.

Slightly more complex: Use an app that will do incremental back ups. This is a very good way to work. The first time you run the back up the app will make a complete copy of the Library. Thereafter it will update the back up with the changes you have made. That makes subsequent back ups much faster. Many of these apps also have scheduling capabilities: So set it up and it will do the back up automatically.

Example of such apps: Chronosync- but there are many others. Search on MacUpdateor the App Store

After making that back up:

and only after

Option 1

Back Up and try rebuild the library: hold down the command and option (or alt) keys while launching iPhoto. Use the resulting dialogue to rebuild. Choose to Repair Database. If that doesn't help, then try again, this time using Rebuild Database.

If that fails:

Option 2

Download iPhoto Library Manager and use its rebuild function. (In early versions of Library Manager it's the File -> Rebuild command. In later versions it's under the Library menu.)

This will create an entirely new library. It will then copy (or try to) your photos and all the associated metadata and versions to this new Library, and arrange it as close as it can to what you had in the damaged Library. It does this based on information it finds in the iPhoto sharing mechanism - but that means that things not shared won't be there, so no slideshows, books or calendars, for instance - but it should get all your events, albums and keywords, faces and places back.

Because this process creates an entirely new library and leaves your old one untouched, it is non-destructive, and if you're not happy with the results you can simply return to your old one.

i cannot open iPhoto, the wheel keeps on turning when I click on iPhoto

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.