Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sound constantly disappearing on iMac

I have an iMac where the sound is output through a set of Personus Monitors via a Focusrite audio interface.

All worked perfectly since I installed over a year ago, however I now have an issue where the sound just disappears system wide. So whether it's playing a tune through iTunes or playing guitar through Amplitube the sound just goes. In order to rectify I have to restart the iMac everytime which is a pain as it closes applications I currently have open.

I've searched similar issues on the forum and google and I can't find anyone resolution specific to playing audio through external speakers.

Any comments as to how I resolve this persistent bug?

I should advise that the sound doesn't disappear whilst I'm actively using the iMac, it only ever goes if I wake up from sleep mode.

Cheers

iMac (21.5-inch, Late 2012)

Posted on Feb 7, 2016 4:49 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 7, 2016 8:44 AM

Try this:

• Disconnect the "Personus Monitors via a Focusrite audio interface"
  • Ensure that the sound is coming out of the built-in speakers
  • Allow iMac to sleep
  • Wake iMac... is there sound?

If this problem is eliminated using the built-in speakers you know that it has something to do with the "Personus Monitors via a Focusrite audio interface" not reactivating properly after your iMac sleeps.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 7, 2016 8:44 AM in response to Rushfanatic1976

Try this:

• Disconnect the "Personus Monitors via a Focusrite audio interface"
  • Ensure that the sound is coming out of the built-in speakers
  • Allow iMac to sleep
  • Wake iMac... is there sound?

If this problem is eliminated using the built-in speakers you know that it has something to do with the "Personus Monitors via a Focusrite audio interface" not reactivating properly after your iMac sleeps.

Sound constantly disappearing on iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.