Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Black screen and Locked trackpad

I Had this computer last year and ended up giving up on it because this problem happened within 2 weeks of buying it, then again when I swapped it for a new one. The screen would randomly go back and the trackpad would lock up and not allow to click or anything. I was wond if anyone else had the same problem

MacBook, OS X El Capitan (10.11)

Posted on Feb 7, 2016 4:36 AM

3 replies

Mar 9, 2016 2:20 AM in response to MaxKap

I'm having exactly the same problem - it has happened many times, seemingly at random (although possibly when there is a slight movement of the laptop). The computer will always eventually go back to how it was (screen on and trackpad working) but it will take anywhere from a couple of seconds to over a minute. I have taken my computer in to get looked at by an Apple Authorised Service Provider (under warranty) and they were unable to find anything wrong with it, which meant that I had to pay for the testing (Apple apparently only pays if they can find an issue) and the problem still keeps happening as nothing has been fixed.

The article that Jason L has linked to unfortunately does not accurately describe the problem - it is nothing to do with the computer going to sleep (as it will happen in the middle of use) and also nothing to do with the computer being out of power.

Black screen and Locked trackpad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.