Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Reactivate a dormant @mac.com account

I created a @mac.com email address 12 years ago when I made my first two or three iTunes purchases. After that I switched to my usual email address.

I have just transferred all my files from my 2012 iMac to my new macBook Pro. iTunes informs me that to authorise these first few purchases on iTunes, I have to sign in to my @mac.com account. I have never used it for email purposes and have no idea what the password could be. I've made attempts and have now blocked the account:

"This Apple ID has been locked for security reasons.

"Sorry, but you have made too many unsuccessful attempts to verify your identity. For security reasons, you will not be able to make changes to your account for the next eight hours."

I'm invited to reset my password, but I have no way of receiving it since I don't use the email address. How do I get access to this account?

Many thanks for your help!

MacBook Pro, OS X El Capitan (10.11.3)

Posted on Feb 7, 2016 5:59 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 10, 2016 8:10 AM

Hi there Mydaypls,

It sounds like you are unable to reset the password to unlock your account because you cannot access that email address. I would suggest reaching out to our Apple ID support directly for assistance with this:

Apple ID Support

Click Contact Support and choose Disabled Apple ID to see your contact options there. Thank you for using Apple Support Communities, all the best!

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 10, 2016 8:10 AM in response to MayDaypls

Hi there Mydaypls,

It sounds like you are unable to reset the password to unlock your account because you cannot access that email address. I would suggest reaching out to our Apple ID support directly for assistance with this:

Apple ID Support

Click Contact Support and choose Disabled Apple ID to see your contact options there. Thank you for using Apple Support Communities, all the best!

Reactivate a dormant @mac.com account

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.