Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Booting time very slow after restoring Fusion Drive

Hello,

I recently restored my 2TB Fusion Drive because Windows had messed it all up when I tried to restore it from a System Image (please see here: Recover Windows 10 from System Image under Boot Camp). Basically, the HDD and SSD got separated and I rebuilt the Logical Volume Group and all. Now the booting times in the OS X partition are pretty slow, so is generally using it for the first minutes - kind of like Windows booting up.

My questions:

1. Should I have restored OS X to the SSD part of the Fusion Drive? Or was I right to assume I should install it on the HDD part and the Fusion Drive would "do its magic" and, in time, transfer booting-relevant files to it on its own?

2. Would re-installing/restoring OS X on the SSD part resolve the issue?

Thank you,

Bruncky

iMac with Retina 5K display, OS X El Capitan (10.11.3), 2TB FD, R9 M395X, 3.3GHz i5, 32GB

Posted on Feb 7, 2016 5:07 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 7, 2016 12:15 PM

I solved this with Apple Support Chat in the end. Basically, you can simply boot into Recovery Mode, reformat the HDD and recover OS X directly onto the SSD.

1 reply

Booting time very slow after restoring Fusion Drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.