Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does anyone still have a working 1st gen classic?

And if so which version of iTunes are you using to update it?

tt2

Posted on Feb 7, 2016 5:15 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 7, 2016 8:26 AM

It works with the latest version of iTunes, as long as there's a FireWire port on the computer. I have one that "works" except it doesn't scroll; the physical scroll wheel turns, but the action is not registered by the iPod. So, I cannot scroll to select what I want on the iPod's screen. (I think I have spare parts from a "donor" iPod to get it fixed up, but I haven't gotten around to it.)

However, it connects normally to iTunes, the latest version (12.3.2.35), on my Mac mini running the latest OS X (10.11.3). I just tried it for the first time. Previously, I connected it (for testing) to my old PowerPC Mac running an older version of iTunes, because my Intel Mac mini only has one FireWire 800 port, and I didn't want to mess with the currently connected (daisy-chained) external drives, plus there's the need to convert FireWire 800 to 400.

But since you asked the question, and I was actually curious myself, I disconnected my two FireWire external drives and directly connected the iPod to the Mac mini's FireWire port using a cable that goes from 800 (9-pin) connector to 400 (6-pin) connector. My iTunes Media folder is on one of those (disconnected) FireWire drives, so I switched over to my "Test User" account, which has a mostly "clean" iTunes library using default settings.

The iPod appeared in iTunes. I was able to do a Restore on it. During the Restore, when iTunes tells me to leave the iPod connected because it is restarting, the iPod did not restart. It just showed the "OK to disconnect" screen. I think that is "by design," because it's the same screen that appears when disconnecting the iPod after normal syncing. Current iTunes just needs a re-worded message at that point in Restore (for this old iPod and probably 2nd gen too). I just disconnected it and reconnected it; the iPod restarted and the Restore process finished. I was amused to see the get started wth your new iPod screen appear for the oldest of iPods. 🙂

That "Test User" iTunes library is linked to my iCloud Music Library, with no locally stored song files. I downloaded about 70 songs, and used Autofill to load them on the iPod. I disconnected the iPod, and I was able to play the songs. Scrolling does not work, but pressing Play/Pause starts playing songs in order.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 7, 2016 8:26 AM in response to turingtest2

It works with the latest version of iTunes, as long as there's a FireWire port on the computer. I have one that "works" except it doesn't scroll; the physical scroll wheel turns, but the action is not registered by the iPod. So, I cannot scroll to select what I want on the iPod's screen. (I think I have spare parts from a "donor" iPod to get it fixed up, but I haven't gotten around to it.)

However, it connects normally to iTunes, the latest version (12.3.2.35), on my Mac mini running the latest OS X (10.11.3). I just tried it for the first time. Previously, I connected it (for testing) to my old PowerPC Mac running an older version of iTunes, because my Intel Mac mini only has one FireWire 800 port, and I didn't want to mess with the currently connected (daisy-chained) external drives, plus there's the need to convert FireWire 800 to 400.

But since you asked the question, and I was actually curious myself, I disconnected my two FireWire external drives and directly connected the iPod to the Mac mini's FireWire port using a cable that goes from 800 (9-pin) connector to 400 (6-pin) connector. My iTunes Media folder is on one of those (disconnected) FireWire drives, so I switched over to my "Test User" account, which has a mostly "clean" iTunes library using default settings.

The iPod appeared in iTunes. I was able to do a Restore on it. During the Restore, when iTunes tells me to leave the iPod connected because it is restarting, the iPod did not restart. It just showed the "OK to disconnect" screen. I think that is "by design," because it's the same screen that appears when disconnecting the iPod after normal syncing. Current iTunes just needs a re-worded message at that point in Restore (for this old iPod and probably 2nd gen too). I just disconnected it and reconnected it; the iPod restarted and the Restore process finished. I was amused to see the get started wth your new iPod screen appear for the oldest of iPods. 🙂

That "Test User" iTunes library is linked to my iCloud Music Library, with no locally stored song files. I downloaded about 70 songs, and used Autofill to load them on the iPod. I disconnected the iPod, and I was able to play the songs. Scrolling does not work, but pressing Play/Pause starts playing songs in order.

Does anyone still have a working 1st gen classic?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.