Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Pages not opening pages document

Hi everyone

I would really appreciate it if you guys could help me out here. I have a macbook of the latest OSX (El Capitan), and just last night I was working fine on a Pages document (the latest version). All of a sudden, the app froze and I had to 'force quit' it to get out. Today, I can't even open the file. I double-click on it, and it just doesn't open up - no pop-ups either about 'wrong version' or anything. It just doesn't open up. On the rare occasion that it does, (or if I create a new pages document thanks to Jeff with his shortcut of clicking shift and opening pages), it lags every 5 seconds. I'm so angry and disappointed at Apple.

Please help me out.

Thanks community, 😟

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X El Capitan (10.11.3)

Posted on Feb 7, 2016 5:28 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 7, 2016 7:03 AM

What explicit version of Pages (Pages menu : About Pages) are you using? We have found from experience that when users state “latest” that it isn't always the case. The last release of Pages was v5.6.1, which I have here. How old is your MacBook Pro and how much RAM memory do you have installed (Apple logo : About This Mac)?

Any time that you have to force quit Pages, you should hold down the shift key when reopening that document - as standard procedure. Have you tried alternative methods of opening that document?

1. Control-click (two finger tap if configured) on the document icon, Open with : Pages (default) (5.?.?).
  2. Launch Pages : File Chooser : click on the document icon : Open (same as Pages : File menu : Open…)
  3. Pages : File menu : Open Recent… : Document name
  4. Drag/drop document icon onto Pages (v5) application icon in Dock

A laggy Pages v5 may be the outcome of a document jammed full of large images, or something else running in the operating system that is competing with Pages for System resources. If you have too many applications open simultaneously with Pages, you may be running low on available memory. If your hard drive is almost full, that will cause the operating system to slow down. And if Spotlight is indexing your boot drive, or other drives, this will cause a general slowness of your Mac for about the first 30 - 60 minutes after you power it on.

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 7, 2016 7:03 AM in response to fablesofgrey

What explicit version of Pages (Pages menu : About Pages) are you using? We have found from experience that when users state “latest” that it isn't always the case. The last release of Pages was v5.6.1, which I have here. How old is your MacBook Pro and how much RAM memory do you have installed (Apple logo : About This Mac)?

Any time that you have to force quit Pages, you should hold down the shift key when reopening that document - as standard procedure. Have you tried alternative methods of opening that document?

1. Control-click (two finger tap if configured) on the document icon, Open with : Pages (default) (5.?.?).
  2. Launch Pages : File Chooser : click on the document icon : Open (same as Pages : File menu : Open…)
  3. Pages : File menu : Open Recent… : Document name
  4. Drag/drop document icon onto Pages (v5) application icon in Dock

A laggy Pages v5 may be the outcome of a document jammed full of large images, or something else running in the operating system that is competing with Pages for System resources. If you have too many applications open simultaneously with Pages, you may be running low on available memory. If your hard drive is almost full, that will cause the operating system to slow down. And if Spotlight is indexing your boot drive, or other drives, this will cause a general slowness of your Mac for about the first 30 - 60 minutes after you power it on.

Feb 7, 2016 7:06 AM in response to VikingOSX

Hi VikingOSX

Thanks so much for your reply!! 🙂

I'm using your version of pages - v5.6.1. The RAM is 8gb. My MacBook is around a year and 2 months old (which means the warranty has JUST expired, and I forgot to extend my AppleCare plan 😠). I've tried holding shift and opening the document, and it opened it up!!! But when I attempted scrolling through the document, the entire application froze again... ><" No other apps apart from pages and safari are currently open 😟 and I have a good 120gb on my hard-disk.

Please help!!

Feb 7, 2016 7:56 AM in response to fablesofgrey

I would like you to quit all of your applications and shut down your Mac. I want you to boot differently, and it is called Safe Boot mode. It will start OS X in a mode where System caches (including font databases) are removed and rebuilt, the disk is checked for errors, and kernel drivers are not loaded as they would be in a normal boot operation. Thus, you will observe a longer boot sequence, potential screen artifacts after boot, and a slower post-boot OS X.

Safe Boot Mode

1. Power down your Mac.
    1. On Power, press and hold the shift key until you observe the horizontal boot progress bar
    2. A login window will eventually appear, and a red Safe Boot will appear in the upper right corner of the screen
    3. Before you press the arrow button after your password entry, press and hold the shift key again. Continue pressing the shift key until your Desktop icons are present.
  2. In Safe Boot mode, open your problematic document in Pages again. Can you work on the document without issues? It may be slower responding, but this is Safe Boot and that is to be expected. Looking for a Pages that does not lock up on you, or beach ball. Experience?
  3. Reboot normally.
  4. Has the behavior of Pages and this particular document improved, or resolved itself?

Feb 7, 2016 7:54 AM in response to VikingOSX

YOU'RE AMAZING!!!!!! THANK YOU SO MUCH. You've seriously saved my life here.

It works PERFECTLY now!! No more spinning wheel of doom (or, the beach ball 😝) and no more unresponding! It lags a little bit but I think the file's a little big - I should probably chop it up (40,000 words...). I found out that when I opened my files in the Safe Boot mode, this appeared. Could you let me know if I have accidentally downloaded these fonts by mistake? I've had to add some Chinese characters to my document, but I don't think I've ever downloaded Chinese fonts...

User uploaded file

Oops - sorry about the medical stuff haha

THANK YOU ONCE AGAIN! You're a saviour 🙂 😍

Pages not opening pages document

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.