Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Mini Freezes when loading

When I boot up my mac mini the loading screen (apple logo above a progress bar) comes on. The progress bar fills to about 75% then the screen flickers and the loading bar turns from a thin bar with round edges and a border to a thick (3 or 4x thicker) white bar with no border and square edges. It doesn't seem to make any progress from there.

I've done the following to attempt to fix it:

• Run the disk repar utility on the drive
  • Run fsck -fy in single user mode
  • Reset the NVRAM
  • Reset the SMC

It won't load into safe mode, freezes on the loading bar (I've left it a significant amount of time to make sure it wasn't just slow).

Anyone have any experience of this and know how to fix it?

Mac mini, OS X El Capitan (10.11.3)

Posted on Feb 7, 2016 4:56 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 7, 2016 8:11 AM

Did the disk repair complete?

If so then reinstall the OSX. Nothing should be lost

How to reinstall OS X on your Mac - Apple Support

- If you do not have a backup use disk utility to restore the internal disk to an external disk so you can try to recover data.

Then format the startup disk and do a fresh install of OSX

8 replies

Feb 7, 2016 8:30 AM in response to Lukegeorge85

II've run first aid in disk utility again. As before it says repairing file system, then it checks a bunch of things, then says the volume appears to be ok, file system check exit code is 0, updating boot support partitions for volume as required, and finally operation successful.

one thing I noticed that appears to be different to a lot of screenshots showing how to do this is that in the list on the left hand side I have a disk image titled OS X base system. This is in addition to my hard drive. Is this normal?

Feb 8, 2016 1:09 PM in response to lllaass

It's back up and running.

I was able to use the move my mac function (think thats what its called) to transfer all my profile and files to the external drive, then when I formatted and installed I was able to use the same function to transfer from the external drive back to the hard drive so the damage isn't actually too bad.

Thanks for your help.

Mac Mini Freezes when loading

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.