Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AUs are not recognized by GB / Defaulting to Pro-Tools. How do I change this?

I'm a novice at GarageBand, having only messed around in recording a few tracks. Yesterday, I downloaded two amp simulator demos (S-Gear and TH3) and specifically chose the demo versions that are not designed to work with Pro-Tools/iLock. Today, I tried to use the amp sims as AUs in GB, and I couldn't find them.

In trying to figure out what's wrong, it seems that the files/folder appear in Library/Audio/Plug-Ins as Pro-Tools plug-ins.

Some years ago, I bought an M-Box which came with a version of Pro-Tools. At the time, the install instructions implied (to me) that installation of Pro-Tools was required to operate the M-Box. I was happy to install Pro-Tools (hey! free software!) but found the the iLock was a nuisance and the actual software was impractical for me, compared to GarageBand. I haven't used Pro-Tools, since.

I'd prefer not to uninstall Pro-Tools (hey! free software!), but I don't want it to be the primary DAW. How can I change this?

Also, is there a way to modify/move the amp sims that I'm demo'ing, to get them to work with GarageBand?

Any other ideas?

MacBook Pro, OS X El Capitan (10.11.3)

Posted on Feb 7, 2016 5:22 AM

2 replies

Feb 7, 2016 2:26 PM in response to RickenAxer

I have not tried the plug-ins, but heck the technical specifications.

On this page I find: http://www.scuffhamamps.com/product/s-gear

Supported Operating Systems:
- Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 10
- MAC OS X 10.7, 10.8, 10.9, 10.10

Plug-in formats (MAC):
- AudioUnit, VST3, AAX

It is suspicious, that it does not list MacOS X 10.11.3, the system you are running.

For audio units, you can only use audio units that are 64bit units. GarageBand for Mac (v10.0): Unexpected behavior with Audio Units plug-ins - Apple Support

AUs are not recognized by GB / Defaulting to Pro-Tools. How do I change this?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.