Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I am unable to airplay any content from my macbook to my Apple TV and only audio airplays from iPad. Also been unable to update my Apple TV3 at home for months now. Both work fine at work with Apple TVs there.

Unable to airplay any content from my Macbook (El Capitan) to my home Apple TV and only audio airplays from iPad. Also been unable to update my Apple TV3 at home for months now. Tried everything 😢. No problem with them functioning at work.

Apple TV, Other OS, Third Generation

Posted on Feb 7, 2016 6:04 AM

4 replies

Feb 7, 2016 6:14 AM in response to opamax

I'd start with the update issue.

If your problem persists get yourself a micro USB cable (sold separately), you can restore your Apple TV from iTunes:

1. Remove ALL cables from Apple TV. (if you don't you will not see Apple TV in the iTunes Source List)
  2. Connect the micro USB cable to the Apple TV and to your computer.
  3. Reconnect the power cable (only for Apple TV 3)
  4. Open iTunes.
  5. Select your Apple TV in the Devices list, and then click Restore.

(You may already have a micro USB cable if you have a camera or other digital device)

Feb 7, 2016 6:16 AM in response to opamax

The following article(s) may help you.

AirPlay from your Mac

AirPlay from your Mobile

Troubleshooting AirPlay

Troubleshooting Wi-Fi networks and connections

Recommended Wi-Fi settings

Wifi Diagnostic Software (for Mac users)

You may also find some help on this page, where I’ve collected some of the more unusual solutions to network issues.

When making adjustments to your network for better optimisation, you may find some of the points mentioned on this page helpful.

Feb 7, 2016 6:41 AM in response to Winston Churchill

Dear Winston Churchill,

I followed your instruction, but when I tried restoring the Apple TV a notification appeared stating "Software for this Apple TV is not currently available. Make sure you have the latest version of iTunes and try again. I checked the version of iTunes and it's the latest one. Any suggestions on what I could do now?

Feb 7, 2016 7:00 AM in response to opamax

If your Apple TV fails to restore through iTunes……..

• Check that you have correctly followed the instructions for your model of Apple TV.
  • If not already, try using a powered USB port.
  • Repeat the process but this time try connecting the cable while iTunes is closed.
  • Repeat the process with another cable.
  • Try restoring the Apple TV on another computer in another location.

I am unable to airplay any content from my macbook to my Apple TV and only audio airplays from iPad. Also been unable to update my Apple TV3 at home for months now. Both work fine at work with Apple TVs there.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.