Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airplay issues el capitan and apple tv

My set up:

Airport extreme up stairs with apple tv

Airport express downstairs with apple tv

Imac late 2013 with el capitan

All on same network

I can airplay and mirror downstairs usually after messing with iTunes and restarting etc

I cannot seem to connect upstairs with any amount of the above.

Incoming connections are wide open, everything is running latest versions.

Should I have my apple cvs connected to my extreme and express?

Im ultimately trying to mirror my iMac desktop to run Kodi through my iMac

iMac, OS X El Capitan (10.11.3)

Posted on Feb 7, 2016 6:44 AM

3 replies

Feb 7, 2016 1:23 PM in response to gjeansonne

Give me a screenshot of the network from airport utility.. show the summary pages of both airports.

What device is the main router?? AE, Express or ISP supplied gateway?

Is the Express wirelessly extending the Extreme? If not explain the setup. (I may pick it up from the screenshot though).

Can I suggest you do a network simplify as i find things often sort themselves out once you have it simple.

Run the Extreme (I am hoping this is the one plugged into the modem or router).. and turn off the Express..

Is the iMac upstairs or downstairs? I am not sure you will get enough signal if you depend on wireless, but try running everything from the one airport and tell me how it goes.

It is worth perhaps even moving things around until you get everything working.. without all the restarts and messing it takes now.

Then you have more hope of getting it to work to another device.

Feb 7, 2016 6:03 PM in response to gjeansonne

I would plug something in by ethernet.. at least the ATV if it is right next to the Extreme.. and is not already.

IPv6 is one of the other interesting issues..

I would make sure you set it to link local only in the computer and in the Extreme.

It is needed but auto setting causes problems..

Certainly airplay has been less than great in recent OS.. but running a simple network with simple names helps.. so any complex names you have change everything to short, no spaces and pure alphanumerics. Same for passwords but can be longer.

If the airplay issue still happens you need to post in the OS X version you are using or iTunes .. rather than airport issues.

Airplay issues el capitan and apple tv

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.