Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Family and Shared iTunes

Greetings, I'm a Music newbie with what I hope is an easy question.

Currently, all 5 members of our family use our own iCloud accounts, and share a shared iTunes account for app and media purchases. There's a bunch of apps owned by that shared account.

I just set up Family with my personal iCloud as the organizer, and the old shared iTunes account for family purchases.

Then I added a 14-year old kid as a family member, using her personal iCloud account, and again, the old shared iTunes account for family purchases.

But I can't turn on Ask to Buy for her. It tells me she is already sharing purchases from an account also used by another family member.

Ithink this implies that I've done something wrong. What do I need to do to enable Ask to Buy and still grant access to all our shared content?

Thank you!

iPhone 6s Plus, iOS 9.2.1

Posted on Feb 7, 2016 7:30 AM

4 replies

Feb 12, 2016 6:38 PM in response to timtrace

timtrace wrote:

Thank you!

So, if I want to have things the way they are, with everyone using the current shared iTunes account, I'll have to rely on device restrictions to keep the kids from making unauthorized purchases?

Tim,

Family Sharing is really the way to go in your situation. The more the kids keep buying content on the family account, the harder it will be when they finally split.

If they get their own accounts, they can share all past purchases via Family Sharing. And you can make use of Ask To Buy.

Family and Shared iTunes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.