Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I delete files in the back up folder in the MobileSync folder

I want to free up space and find I have 52GB tied up in Backup file in MobileSync, within Application Support folder. Can I delete the back up files to free space? Will new back up files be generated when other devices sync?

Posted on Feb 7, 2016 8:09 AM

2 replies

Feb 7, 2016 8:55 AM in response to lesliefromoneonta

You can delete the backups if you no longer want them. If you backup again via iTunes new files will be created. If deleting, I would recommend doing it using the following instructions from Find and manage your iTunes backups - Apple Support

1. Mac: Choose iTunes > Preferences.
    Windows: Choose Edit > Preferences. Learn how to turn on menus in Windows 7 and 8.
  2. Click Devices.
  3. Choose the backup you want to delete. If you have multiple devices or backups, hover the mouse pointer over the backup to see more details.
    User uploaded file
  4. Click Delete Backup and then confirm.

Feb 7, 2016 8:59 AM in response to lesliefromoneonta

Also, if space on your computer is an issue you may want to backup the iOS device(s) to iCloud instead. You can do that on an iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch via Settings > iCloud > Backup. If turned on it will automatically backup when the phone is charging if it has a wi-fi connection. You may also want to turn on some of the other things in Settings > iCloud such as Contacts so that any changes on the phone are automatically synced.

Can I delete files in the back up folder in the MobileSync folder

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.