Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I downloaded iTunes and can't open it. I get a pop-up that says "The folder iTunes is on a locked disk or you do not have write permissions for this folder

I downloaded iTunes and get a pop-up that says "The folder iTunes is on a locked disk or you do not have write permissions for this folder."

How do I overcome this?

PC -OTHER, Windows 7

Posted on Feb 7, 2016 6:51 AM

2 replies

Feb 8, 2016 2:57 PM in response to Confused in Tulsa

Hi there Confused in Tulsa,

It sounds like you were able to successfully install iTunes but you cannot open it due to this error message. I would try the troubleshooting in the following article about issues opening iTunes first:

Fix unexpected quits or launch issues in iTunes for Windows

If the issue persists then I would delete iTunes from the computer:

Remove and reinstall iTunes and related software components for Windows 7 and later

Then start with step 1 in this article to get iTunes installed again:

If you can‘t install or update iTunes for Windows

The name of the article indicates that it is for a different symptom but the steps should be relevant. Thank you for using Apple Support Communities, let us know how that goes if you would!

I downloaded iTunes and can't open it. I get a pop-up that says "The folder iTunes is on a locked disk or you do not have write permissions for this folder

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.