Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Machine does not recognize external journaled partition

Machine: iMac 27" 5K, 4GHz i7, 8GB RAM, 512GB Flash, OSX 10.11.3

I just bought a new Seagate 4TB HDD and used Disk Utility to setup two partitions: 1.) 1TB OS X Extended (Journaled) - for backups; 2.) 3TB exFat - for file storage. Time machine does not recognize the journaled partition. When I try to start TM I get the following message: "Can't connect to a current Time Machine backup disk".

I've tried Erasing each partition to no avail. I can't try re-partitioning because the icon is greyed out.

What to do?

iPhone 6 Plus, iOS 8.4.1, Touch screen problem

Posted on Feb 7, 2016 6:59 AM

2 replies

Feb 7, 2016 8:34 AM in response to CarpeD1em

First, please deselect the partition as a Time Machine backup destination. You should then be able to repartition the drive. If you can't, disconnect it and reconnect it. It should be partitioned in GUID format with one data volume only. Using the same drive for backups and file storage is not a good idea, because the storage partition won't be backed up. Any data that isn't backed up will eventually be lost.

Time Machine does not recognize external journaled partition

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.