Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

TC installed, but no access to Internet

I installed a new Airport Time Capsule, made a network and a guest network. Also Used the option for 5 GHz.

The guest network is the only thing that works now, the other 2 networks do not give access to the Internet. Via Airport-configuration the TC is not visible anymore. Restart didn't help. Any suggestions?

MacBook Air, OS X El Capitan (10.11.3), Airport Config 6.3.6

Posted on Feb 7, 2016 7:32 AM

13 replies

Feb 7, 2016 8:01 AM in response to aldertvanb

The "main network" and "guest network" features on the AirPort Time Capsule will not work correctly unless you have a simple, basic modem only......not a modem/router or gateway type of device that is often supplied by most Internet Service Providers.

So, the first troubleshooting step here would be to find out what type of modem that you have. To do that, we need for you to post back the make and model number of the device that you call your "modem".

Feb 7, 2016 9:10 AM in response to aldertvanb

Thanks for checking the settings. Everything looks good on the AirPort router.....and unfortunately I do not have a fibre type of connection here to test. We have seen a number of posts from users who are having issues with the AirPort and fibre connections. I think this is likely because the AirPorts were designed to work with standard "cable" and "DSL" type modems.

Hopefully, another user who has a fibre type connection will post here to help.

In the meantime......please try the following

In AirPort Utility / Edit / Wireless Tab......

Remove the check mark next to Enable Guest Network

Update to Save the changes

Check to see if the "main" network is now working correctly.

If it is, now go back and try to Enable Guest Network again

Feb 7, 2016 9:29 AM in response to aldertvanb

It would be a good idea to try a factory default reset on the AirPort again and then see if a new set up will work. It is also possible that you may have a defective AirPort that will need to be replaced......since the "main" network will not work when the "guest" is not enabled.

I do not think that very many users who might have a fibre type connection will ever see this discussion, so if the factory reset of the AirPort does not help, I would suggest that you start a new post with a title like.......

Having trouble with fibre connection and new AirPort router

This will attract attention of users who have a fibre connection. Good luck!

Feb 7, 2016 11:57 AM in response to aldertvanb

Hi Bob,

I did the reset to factory settings, and went from there. No problem, until I made a guest network. I unfledged it, and it is running well so far.

So fingers crossed, but I think I found the problem. I will contact Apple about this, since I want a separate network for guests and friends of my sons ....

Thanks for helping me!!

Cheers, Aldert

TC installed, but no access to Internet

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.