Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can iWorks convert and import Appleworks databases?

I have several databases that were generated under Appleworks 6. But now I have an Intel iMac and Appleworks

won't work. I looked at Filemaker Pro but to convert to a form that program uses, I have to have access to the files.

And they are all "grayed" out when I go to them under Filemaker Pro. The Appleworks disk I have gives me the

error of "cannot install on Intel computer". So how can I restore my databases?

I don't have the information anymore to re-do all of them manually!

I'm running Lion OS 10.7.5 on an Intel iMac.

Thanks.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Feb 7, 2016 8:38 AM

34 replies

Feb 7, 2016 10:05 AM in response to wwplyr

You have to find an older version of iWorks--iWorks '09 per this very helpful AppleWorks migration site:

http://rfwilmut.net/notes/aw/page1.html

It offers some other options that have been tested on AppleWorks and Claris files.

However, I do not recall iWorks having a database component as did AppleWorks. That site has options for AW databases too.

As you have found, AppleWorks only ran natively on pre-Intel Macs (pre-2006 PowerPC), and in emulation mode on Intel Macs running OS 10.6 Snow Leopard through its Rosetta emulation for apps written for PowerPC Macs.

Feb 7, 2016 8:18 PM in response to wwplyr

For the longest time only AppleWorks could open ClarisWorks/AppleWorks databases. I just checked & the very capable LibreOffice can open an AppleWorks 6 database. It did open as a spreadsheet & you will lose all formatting & formulas but you will have your data without having to find a Mac that can still run AppleWorks & export the file.

The iWork apps (no 's') from iWork '09 & earlier can only open AppleWorks 6 word processing, spreadsheets & presentations. They cannot open any databases, paint or draw documents nor any AppleWorks/ClarisWorks 5 or earlier files.

Feb 8, 2016 9:19 AM in response to wwplyr

wwplyr wrote:

I have several databases that were generated under Appleworks 6. But now I have an Intel iMac and Appleworks

won't work.

In order to gain access to Appleworks to export your database data for import into Filemaker Pro, you can run Appleworks 6.2.9 in Snow Leopard Server running in virtualization, such as Parallels.

Apple is now selling Snow Leopard Server for $19.99 + sales tax & shipping costs at 1.800.MYAPPLE (1.800.692.7753) - Apple Part Number: MC588Z/A (telephone orders only). If they balk at having it ask again, or hang up and call back. They have it!

Parallels offers a 14 day free trial, but do not activate it until you have have your copy of Snow Leopard Server in hand:

User uploaded file

[click on image to enlarge]

Installing Snow Leopard Server into Parallels for DUMMIES:

http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/installing-snow-leopard-and-rosetta-into-par allels-7-in-lion.1365439/page-23#post-17285039

Feb 9, 2016 10:53 AM in response to wwplyr

Is there a reason you're still running Lion, OS X 10.7.5? Lion was one of the worst version of OS X & upgrading to Mountain Lion is highly recommended.

If upgrading your Mac isn't possible (there were a few Macs incapable of going beyond Lion), you will have to find a way to open the databases in AppleWorks 6 & export them to a format that can be opened by other applications. You could try Michael's method of using Snow Leopard server in Parallels or you could find a Mac running Snow Leopard or earlier. You could try contacting your local user group to see if someone there can help you either by opening the file in AppleWorks or opening it in LibreOffice.

If all else fails, post back & I'll see if I can come up with a way to do it for you as I've done for many others over the years.

Feb 9, 2016 11:14 AM in response to Peggy

Peggy wrote:

Is there a reason you're still running Lion, OS X 10.7.5? Lion was one of the worst version of OS X & upgrading to Mountain Lion is highly recommended.

You know Peggy, I am still using Lion primarily from when I purchased my 2011 Mac Mini and I like it. Another "expert" here told me to upgrade to Mountain Lion, but I do not see any reason why: "if it ain't broke, don't fix it!"

I have Lion on my main "Macintosh HD" and I do have partitions with Yosemite and El Capitan (and I did the "newfoundglory" downgrade of this 2011 Mac Mini to Snow Leopard, as well) and I have the Mavericks installer, too (which for some strange reason failed on an external drive). But I never purchased Mt. Lion.

Why do YOU recommend the upgrade from Lion to Mt. Lion; what specific improvements do you see?

User uploaded file

[click on image to enlarge]

Feb 11, 2016 4:31 AM in response to wwplyr

Here is a version of LibreOffice that will open in Lion, although I do not know if it will also have the capability that Peggy expresses, that is, to open Appleworks databases in a spreadsheet:

http://www.oldapps.com/mac/libreoffice.php

The method I mentioned (installing Snow Leopard Server into Parallels so as to allow you to run Appleworks 6.2.9 to open and export your Appleworks database data) will work 100% of the time in Lion.

Also, your bio says you have a G3 running OS X 10.3.9: can't you open Appleworks there?

Feb 11, 2016 9:38 AM in response to wwplyr

The Link brings you to a page that supposedly offers you downloads of older versions of LibreOffice. However, I am not that experienced in LibreOffice and I do not know if older versions will open any Appleworks databases.

Roger Wilnut's excellent series of articles, Abandoning Appleworks, also suggests that LibreOffice will open "some" Appleworks database files as a spreadsheet:

http://rfwilmut.net/notes/aw/page1.html

Since you apparently cannot get LibreOffice to run on your Lion Mac, you need an alternate solution.

I know that my solution for you will work 100% of the time: Purchase Snow Leopard Server from the Apple Store by telephone for $20 and download the 14 day free trial of Parallels. You then have two weeks to export your database data for use in Filemaker Pro or other database program.

If you need more time, or continuing access to Appleworks, you can purchase Parallels for $99, or less if you search the internet for discounts.

It seemed from your earlier posts that access to your data from these databases was very important to you. This suggestion will give you that access, especially as now you say that your profile is incorrect in that you no longer have a G3 iMac and only the modern day Mac.

Feb 11, 2016 4:54 PM in response to Peggy

Peggy:

More importantly, as a prerequisite to sending the OP on to download the Lion version of LibreOffice, did you download this Lion version yourself and attempt to open an Appleworks database file?

If it does not open Appleworks database files, there is no point in showing the OP the correct way to download it.

I tried to quickly create an Appleworks database file in an attempt to try it myself, but I ran out of time...

Can iWorks convert and import Appleworks databases?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.