Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Do USB & Firewire ports on audio interface always function as both input and output?

I guess everyone must start somewhere, so although it's assumed by almost everyone that I would know the answer to my questions, maybe with good reason, what I don't know is whether the single USB connection and firewire ports on an audio interface ALWAYS function as both an input AND output. In other words, whenever I read product info on audio interfaces, no matter where I go, it's generally assumed that most people are buying their audio interface for RECORDING. And so when most people talk about hooking up their Apple computer, iMac or MacBook Pro, it's generally assumed they look to the USB port as an INPUT. That's all very well and good. But in my case, I want to use the USB port as an output (not the mini plug), and go into an audio interface that gives me a balanced signal output that I can plug into my powered studio monitor (which only has an XLR balanced input). All the examples I see with audio interfaces address recording, and imply the use of the USB on the audio interface as input.

So my question is: Does the one USB port that I see on any number of audio interfaces always function as BOTH input and output? It must, but if so, why doesn't any site mention that this fact, and whey don't they show in the manual any diagrams of the audio interface hooking up to studio monitors? I realize it may be obvious to some, but as a user intending to use not an all in one stage piano but rather a controller keyboard that is attached to the iMac in order to use virtual instrument software, I need to go from the controller to the iMac and then out of the iMac into the balanced inputs of the powered monitors. Getting to the balanced inputs of the speakers requires more than a simple adapter to give the speaker a balanced input. But nobody talks about audio interfaces generally unless they talking about it as a way into the computer to record. What about my situation? Why don't they include that example? And why should they assume that novice will automatically KNOW that the usb port on an audio interface will function as an output also if they never EVER mention that example or setup? I assume it has to function in both direction! But really, am I crazy to wonder when nobody ever discusses or shows this setup? It was suggested that I buy something similar to a Steinberg UR22MkII which has a USB. Even the Steinberg site only talks about recordings, and therefore using the USB as an input to use with recording software. There is no mention of using it to come OUT of the mac into balanced speaker inputs, even in the manual. Actually, that's issue is always true of every audio interface manual I have looked, even by other manufacturers! Why do they all assume a novice such as myself (whose money is just as good as the experienced user's money) would KNOW that? It's frustrating!

I realize this is not strictly a Logic question, but I am assuming, I think correctly, that a Logic user's community might be more appropriate for me to address my question to than other communities. If I am wrong, please help re-address it elsewhere. Thank you.

Posted on Feb 7, 2016 8:11 AM

4 replies

Feb 7, 2016 8:30 AM in response to Argyle Parks

Its the interface itself that determines is it can send and receive Audio or Midi.... not the USB or FW port which both are i/o devices...

All USB and FW Midi devices are input and output

All USB and FW Audio devices are Input and Output...

Not all USB devices or external hardware with a USB port... can handle both Midi and Audio... A few do.. Most handle just Midi... or just Audio

The Steinberg UR22MkII handles both Audio and Midi...

However, I don't recommend USB2.0 devices for Audio... There are simply too many cases of problems and issues after major updates to OS X with such devices especially when they are Class Compliant (ie driverless) even though the Steinberg UR22MkII is supposedly 10.11 compatible..

Other's view may vary..... as this is just a personal opinion based on my past experiences both in my studio.. and based on the many issues reported here and elsewhere.

I stick with Motu equipment for all my Audio devices.... and I use iConnect devices for my Midi requirements..

Feb 7, 2016 8:28 AM in response to Argyle Parks

After thinking about this in order to write the above question, I suddenly realized that in both instances both recording and playback, the USB port on the audio interface always functions in the INPUT mode! Of course! The computer is the device that switches the function and not the audio interface. I feel like Rosanna Rosanna Dana (the late great Gilda Radner). "Oh well, never mind!" I was thinking the audio device was the active partner, but it's just like any other kind of audio adapter in this respect. Like with the Apogee Interface, the one connection functions in both directions because the computer switches the mode of operation! Okay, hope some of you at least got a laugh out of my question. I know I had to laugh when after thinking it about it some more, I realized that the output is only functioning through the other connections ... after the USB port. Strange that I couldn't conceptualize it. I guess that only proves what a novice after all. Funny that I never had any problem like this with analog recording!

Feb 7, 2016 10:04 AM in response to Argyle Parks

Just to add... In earlier versions of Logic, you could not select the Input/Output device, there was only a single slot for choosing the Audio Interface, no option for selecting separate I/O devices.

I've noticed many on this board (mostly new users) select the Audio Interface for Input and Built-In audio for output. Extremely foolish as the built-in output will almost always be less accurate in terms of uneven frequency output and have a higher level of background noise. Best to use the audio interface for both I/O with a decent set of powered monitors attached.

Do USB & Firewire ports on audio interface always function as both input and output?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.